SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Is my problem I let my tomato plants sprawl?

californian
15 years ago

I have never gotten large production off a single plant. As a result I usually have to plant twenty to thirty tomato plants to get enough tomatoes for a family of five. My biggest problems are blossom end rot, sunscald, vines withering, and tomatoes rotting before they ripen. I don't use tomato cages because 30 of the concrete mesh cages many recommend would take up too much storage room when the season ends and be an eyesore, so I always let my tomato plants sprawl. Plus I can't find a source of galvanized concrete reinforcing mesh, so plain steel would turn into a pile of rusty wire. I have really bad luck with large tomatoes that always seem to rot before they ripen. My only reliable producers are cherry tomatoes.

Is it worth the time, cost, and effort to built a tomato cage for a plant that will only produce a few edible tomatoes? The one area it might help is damage from roly polys that take bites out of tomatoes in contact with the soil. Using cages might help the sunscald problem too, but one website said sun scald is usually a secondary effect of a VF attack that defoliates the plant. BTW, two other problems are my almost pure clay soil and the fact I live on a hill which makes deep watering impossible because the water just runs off down the hill.

Comments (8)