SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mareas_gw

UPDATE: 7900 Traveling Daylilies...

mareas
18 years ago

{{gwi:1245789}}
This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of talented , generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. The way into this group is to have traded with at least one of us and to be recommended for membership by one of more members of the group. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

We are currently doing a Numbers Theme for our April swap.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGHAN & MELLEN!!!

Is everybody good & tired from daylily planting yet? HA! I'm almost as crazed as our beloved Anita with boxes on my doorstep - WHAT was I thinking??

MaryB - I was SO happy to see you getting Spacecoasts!!

I discovered my Hostas are up & unfurling almost overnight! The first one open & waving HAPPY SPRING at me was Wolverine.

Comments (101)

• juspeachy
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all,
    Just a quick check in b 4 bed. Busy day.

MaryB,
    Thank you so very much. (tears here) How can I ever thank you. I really did want to be in the hosta swap. The bigest, bestest "THANK YOU" ever. I have lots of seedlings of many different plants coming up. I will send you a list, and see if there are any you might want.

Mom had a another very good day. She ate an excellent breakfast of 2 1/2 pancakes, a banana, slice of toast, and a cup of coffee. Then she slept most of the day. Sweet Jaye had sent me 2 CD's back around Christmas, one is called "natural sleep" it has soft soothing music, the sound of trickling water, and the sweet sound of birds twittering in the background. I play that for my mom, she loves it, and she goes right to sleep.
    So, the end of a wonderful day, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    thank you to all of you for being the wonderful friends you all are.
    Big warm hugs,
    Jo

• skohler
    18 years ago

HI all
    Well my check up did go very well back in the garden agin :))) Just no heavy lifting so I bring my brother in on that :))) .

gals I would love to get in on the hosta swap
    any 2 or 3 of these are or would be fine even any I don't have listed that you have to share is ok with me :))
    I have
    Honey Bells
    wide brim
    Aureo-Marginata
    Christmas tree
    choo-choo-train
    varigated & 3-4 others I can't remeber the names will have to go look tomorrow .

Have a great night all time to settle back
    Had a long day at bingo & Now I can buy more daylilies :))) .
    susie

SUM and SUBSTANCE (Arden 1980)
    STRIPTEASE (Thompson 1991)
    SPILT MILK (M Seaver 1999)
    sieboldiana ELEGANS (AHS 1987)
    RED OCTOBER (Herold)
    PINEAPPLE UPSIDEDOWN CAKE (Q & Z Nursery 1999)
    MISSISSIPPI DELTA (O. Petryszyn 1998)
    OLIVE BAILEY LANGDON (O'Hara 1999)
    LIBERTY PP#12,531 (J. Machen 00)
    JUNE (Neo Plants 1991)
    JEWEL OF THE NILE (Walek 2000)
    GREAT EXPECTATIONS (J. Bond/P. Aden 1988)Hosta FROSTED JADE (Maroushek 1978)
    FRIED GREEN TOMATO (Solberg 1995)
    FRANCES WILLIAMS (F. & C. Williams, 1986)
    FIRE and ICE (H. Hansen/Shady Oaks Nursery, 1999)
    EARTH ANGEL (H. Hansen/Shady Oaks Nursery 2002)
    DIVA (Russ O'Harra Hosta Society 1999)
    DEEP BLUE SEA (C. Seaver 1994)
    DANCE WITH ME (Hansen / Shady Oaks Nursery)
    COLOR GLORY (Aden 1980)
    BRESSINGHAM BLUE (Bloom 1984)
    BLUE MOUSE EARS (Deckert 2000)
    BIG MAMA (Aden 1978)
    BIG DADDY (Aden 1978)
    AMERICAN HALO (V Wade 1999)

• Related Discussions

update: update: 10,700 traveling daylilies

Q

Comments (103)
    Hi everyone! Well the garden tour was Wednesday and last evening we got to tour all the other gardens on the tour. It was alot of fun once the major work was done! My DH said my gardens had never looked so good! I admit I did stress a little over the weeds! Now I can relax a little and enjoy the rest of summer! My DLs were just starting to bloom but the Asiatic and Oriental lilies were really putting on a show! I will post some pics of the tour soon. Shirley, I am glad to see the trade is still on and I am now ready! Melinda, I will be out of town starting on Friday, July 18-22 so lets just wait till after then to ship my trade, OK... unless it will get here before the 18th??? Ellen are you going to be away anytime? I am so ready to trade again!I have not done any this summer D/T the garden tour. Marea, I will email you soon about our pending hosta trade! Annette, Hope we can finish our Valentines trade now, too. We are going to the Lakehouse either today later or tomorrow. It is a nice get-away! I hate to complain but we could really use a good rain. Our corner of the state is about the only place in Iowa that was not hit with the flooding. Well back outside to pick out some plants to send to Ellen! Mary
    ...See More

UPDATE: 11,400 Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi Everyone, We are back from our trip. It was fantastic. we had a blast. Melinda, I would love to trade with you sometime, I have a lot of dl's, but love other plants, and have many. Joy, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved kitty. we have had to do that a couple of times, one was with our very first dog my dh and i got. we had him for 18 years, it was very difficult. My heart goes out to you. Marea, Again, I am so sorry. They are family, and it hurts so much.Especially when you werent there with them. *hug* Nancy, So happy to hear that your surgery went well. Maybe you can watch someone else do the work in your gardens while you sit in the shade and relax and get better. =) Whoo hoo, I am trading with Jean. I will check your list, hope I have something on it. If not, I will send you a list of what i have, maybe you can find something. Also, I will check locally to see if there is anything i can purchase. I have a dl farm about 20 mins away. And several nurseries I have discovered in the last year. Debbie, What a great box of goodies. Marea, When do our boxes have to be sent. I may have missed it if you posted that. I am very excited to be back trading with you all again. We bought 6 blueberries, and 6 fruit trees, so got a lot of work ahead of us. Plus we have to finish our raised strawberry bed to get all our strawberry plants in. I also found a clematis I have been wanting. Fairydust!! It was the only one they had, and I nabbed it. Only $10 Got lots of cool projects planned for the garden this summer. I cant wait. hehehe Take care everyone, stay safe Hugs Jo
    ...See More

UPDATE: Traveling Daylilies (Photo 14)

Q

Comments (67)
    Morning All :) Paul nice accidental flower :) Marea,love your picture of the lily and larkspur,beautifull. Joy,what a beauty you have there.WOW!Loving the red in it. Ok heres whats blooming here in the north land. Blue Shimmers..I beleive anyways Chocolate lily Lent H Williamson Lost tag dwarf iris, Iris I got from Michigan Blub Comp..long long time ago Chocolate Lets Boggie Romeo...I beleive Pink Haze sib Raspberry Blush Unknown Red,could be Red Zigger,maybe Just like these two :) Another unknown One more unknown Peony Carol and Gold Has anyone heard from Ellen??She hasn't posted other then to ask to be in shade swap.Just wondering. Hope your not all melting in this heat. Jean
    ...See More

UPDATE: Traveling daylilies 5500 send a daylily

Q

Comments (3)
    Earthly...I'm so glad you liked your box. Your thank you is so gracious, it makes me want to send you another box:~) We're down to the wire for our Sept. Swap: Here is the list: Gloria Marea JoAnn Debbie Maryanne Jean Mary S Ellen Carol Dianne Cindy O Shirley Susie Deni Jaye Carmen Dawn Sharon Sherry B Cathy Mary B. Cody Sherri R. Anita Have I forgotten anyone. If I don't hear from anyone else by tomorrow morning, this is the list I will give Gloria. This is 24 of our 34 members. I heard that Georgia has been hit by a tornado or tornados today. Say a prayer for Gloria, Jaye, and Carmen and their loved ones. They are our sisters from Georgia. I haven't heard from Deni who is our sister from Mississippi since just before Katrina hit. Does anyone know about her and her family? Keep all in your thoughts and prayers. One other thing. We used to type our names, a slash, then our GW names. Most got away from this practice, but it may help our new people put names with GW names. If you think this will help, you are encouraged to do this at least until everyone gets to know each other. Debbie/budsnblooms
    ...See More
  • budsnblooms
    18 years ago

I have signed up for the June hosta swap but I may have made a mistake. I don't have many different kinds of hostas and now looking at some of your hosta "have lists", I think I better get to ordering right away. Would someone else who doesn 't have a lot of different kinds of hostas please e-mail me, maybe we can choose each other as partners.

Another request....Would those of you who have shade gardens, please post pictures. I have the last one of Jeans saved on my pc to try to copy some of her ideas and would like to see more ideas. I have lots of shade in my yard and so far I haven't tried to do anything with it.
    Maybe we can post some of our various flower beds, water gardens, hardscapes, well you get the picture...We did something similar once before and I got some really great ideas, unfortunately my old computer broke and I had to get another one and lost all my old stuff. Also, many of us did not know how to post pictures at that time, and we also have a lot of new folks to share their pictures and ideas. I will start taking pics tomorrow.

My 30 year old daughter finally met the man she wants to spend her life with. They have set a wedding date of May 12, 2007. I am so happy for her. She has already started to glow...The down side is that I don't get to see her very often....I am having to learn to share my daughter. But seeing her so happy really does make up for that.

I'll write more later.
    Debbie/budsnblooms

• skohler
    18 years ago

Deb
    I trully do not have many hosta's as of yet eighter
    I My list is like everyone else's just a guild line
    even if I was to get one or 2 on the list is great
    but even if I had any nice hosta that gets HUGE
    would be nice .

ok I need to ask is this just for the plants or do we have to buy gifts to go into the box also ?

like I said I don't have many as of yet to trade but
    I will try to fill my pal's wish list with at lease
    one of his or her dreams :)))

have a great day all I'm Going to go see my New
    great nephew :)) .

susie

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Guess we all have one of those ugly daffs. I could live without mine, thought it was a fluke since it was its first year blooming.

Ok once again and every year from this day forward will I have fits about this. :):) My neighbor who has one daylily other than the ones I have given her has a scape on her lemon lily. How do I have over two hundred daylilies and she gets buds before me. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr. She has given me those lemon lilies every year for the last few and mine just won't bloom. So frustrating.
    Does anyone else in this zone have scapes? If so I need to know the plant name. I just won't be outdone. :):)

Debbie, congratulations to your daughter and to you for gaining a son.

Maryb, my hostas are all up. They are going to add such accent to the bed they are in.

Sharon, what was that child thinking.....BRrrrrrrrrr.

Has anyone gotten their orders from daylily world? Sherri

• TakingRoot
    18 years ago

Morning All,

Just a quick check in.....

I wanted to be in the Hosta Shuffle and would love to have any that are not on my list (would 'really' love some of those streakers)... I need to update my list because I just got a few more the other day.....
    Jo ~ I'm glad that CD helps to relax your mom and I'm so glad to hear she is eating and doing good! BIG HUGS to you.
    Susie ~ glad your check up went well!
    Sharon ~ Sounds like the weather vane was a great find..... I love treasure hunting (garage/yard sales). Glad your dad is doing good.
    Di ~ Thanks for hosting the Hosta Shuffle, next to DL's this is one of my 'favorite' plants!
    Paul ~ Nice picture.
    Off to work in the yard today....high's in the mid 80's....yep....I'm loving it!!!!

Not to forget everyone else.....so: BIG BIG HUGS!!

Jaye

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Hi all,
    Very quick check in, I need to know which one of you put the zap on Susan? I got a call from her Friday, I think she is trying to suck up, but anyway I have baby David till Wednesday got him Friday, She says it is to make up for lost time???? I don't know what to think, but have to run & tend him, Have a great day all,

Oh P. S Can I please change my Hosta Swap from Don't care to big one's, Lightning killed the trees covering my shade gardens last year the trees came down a few weeks ago, so now my Hosta will have to go far from the house & I would like to see them from the house, PLEASE, :)Anita

• mary_s
    18 years ago

Good morning all!

We had a lovely weekend and I spent most of it outside working. I had taken a "personal day" today but it is raining now! Guess that means I will have to clean the house or maybe shopping. Tough decision!

Hosta Queen, Dianne (LOL at the name Queen Lahosta")....I hope your March package will arrive today! I mailed it out Friday so be on the lookout.LMK if you need help with the hosta package for **. I have plenty to share too.

Do not let my hosta list scare you guys/gals. I would be happy with any variety or size hosta you decide to send. I love them all! I have to limit the size of any I buy to mini-medium sized ones as I am running out of shade!

I have most of my hostas up now and see that most of them survived. I seem to have lost a couple of the little ones and a few look a little puny. Why are they so touchy and the big ones multiply like crazy?I only lost 2 daylilies that I can tell. Some did not add any fans but we will have to see. The rabbits are starting to munch on my hostas already and they are not even unfurled. I am going to try "liquid fence" this year. Does that work?

Jo glad to hear your mom is having some good days. Bless you for being so attentive. You will not regret it.

I can hardly wait till next week. I should start getting in some daylilies and hostas I ordered next week!

Anita, those tulips and other bulbs you sent me are blooming and are so pretty! I will try to get pics between showers today! Are you planting daylilies yet?????

I have 1 of those checkered little flowers-fritillaria out of all I planted. Sometimes they come up and fail to bloom. I must be doing something wrong!
    MaryS

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Good morning everyone.

Thank you so much for all your kind words, thoughts and prayers at the loss of my beloved Uncle. Every word I read was extremely comforting to my heart.

He was a man that had so much significance in my life, that was a part of my daily life and whose existence on this earth enhanced my own. Theres a big void, but having had him for this long a time, there is nothing I lost out on. I know heÂs in a better place and if I dwell on the sadness of his passing, it could interfere with his eternal life. So I accept the fact that I have had at least half my life of knowing him well and enjoying his companionship.

This was one of the hardest weeks of my life and I learned more than I ever wanted to know or realize you needed to know about death and dying. Everyone has you coming and going and everyone has their two cents and then there are those that nothing ever satisfies them. Go figure. Here you are trying to handle a most difficult time and make sure your loved one is getting the best of care in his passing and people are screaming at you from all corners, yet never offering help. It seems death brings out either the best or the worst in you. ThereÂs no middle ground. We had a good deal of outside negativity from some family members  granted, members that havenÂt been around in the last couple of decades - but nonetheless wanted to stir the pot.

I must admit though, for my sister and I having no experience in this sort of thing, we put together a beautiful and loving tribute to honor my uncle in his death, as we did in his life. Everything about the day was beautiful  from the way he looked (extremely healthy and handsome), to his clothing, to the flowers, to the church and wonderful the words of his priest. He will so be missed, but he is at peace now and whole again, with God and with his family. HeÂs wanted to be there for a while, so how can you fight it? I felt so honored to eulogize him as well. That was tough, but I certainly could not let him go without everyone hearing again the wonderful things they already knew about him.

Yesterday was rough  already a week had gone by and you kind of relive the day. I spent the latter part of the day putting plants in the ground  it was good therapy.

Again thank you all for allowing me to share a little of my heart and my sadness with you, and for comforting me with your kind words. YouÂre a wonderful group of humans :)

maryanne

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

mary
    you've been holding tatoo out on me!!!??? i've wanted it for four years now, but always end up spending too much on dl's. i almost got it last year, but i wanted peony raspberry sundae more. when i went back to get it, tatoo was gone. maybe i'll find it this year.

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

alright kiddies the orders have started to come in. i'm going to offer some of the extras from the more generous sellers here first and then i'll mosey on over to the general offerings forum. i would prefer more daylilies of the newer varieties, check my want list, please. thanks

spacecoast cranberry breeze 1f
    hillbilly heart 2f
    tar and feather 1f
    empire strikes back 2f smallish
    spacecoast sweet eye 3f
    flamboyant eyes 2f
    solid geometry 1f
    stars and angels 1f
    spring willow song 2f

• User
    18 years ago

My, my, MY, MaryS is some poor mathematician!

I don't know what number she was suposed to be working on, but she sent me 30 novelty fabrics for my I Spy quilt alone!

THEN, as if that wasn't good enough, she added:

Baby Bunting, a mini hosta that I have always admired. It is my very first new hosta for 2005

2 daylilies--Flaming Sword (very cool deep red) and September Gold--vibrant and passionate

3 lilies--Casablanca from her own garden, Italia and Arena. Complete with pictures. I can't wait to see them bloom in my garden

THEN she added a gazillion stickers for my scrapbooking

Rubber-stamped notecards that I'll put to immediate use

Reese's Peanut Butter cups for Walt and a Payday for me (yummm)

A great shepherd's hook garden heart-shaped sign

An adorable garden notebook and notepad

Yankee Candle "Clean Cotton" car scent, sachet and votive (I'm smelling it every other sentence as I type--I love it!)

a spring patterned dishtowel and cookie cutter set

garden gloves (boy, you don't know how much I needed a new pair)

And maybe the very best of all--little, tiny garden tools for Benjamin! He can be my new gardening buddy and I can pass on the love of the earth to another generation.

Oh, Mary, thank you so very much. I love everything you dug and chose and sent. If it ever stops raining here, I know just where I'll be putting all the great plants.

Thank you, thank you. I LOVE these swaps!

Dianne

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Anita, that would be me who put the hex on Susan! Nice to know that it worked ;-) and I'm thrilled you got to have Little David for so long.

Shirley, how is your ankle? Better I hope! I forgot to mention that I got some irises from you too but none of those bloomed this year. Can't wait til next year to see those too. I am so tickled that so far I have had quite a few different ones to bloom. Sorry to say I don't know the name of the Japanese Iris. I got it from an ebay order that I got and most of them were rotten when I got them and the rest were so tiny I had to wait at least 3 years for them to bloom. I'll still be waiting for several more to bloom. I was so disappointed. I'll divide that beauty with you when it multiplies. Don't let me forget!

Gloria, don't feel bad about only having one hosta. I have about a dozen but some are NOIDs and most of the rest too small to trade. I would love to have been in on the swap but didn't want to disappoint my partner. Annie sent me several a couple of years ago and I've been trying to baby them but only one has really multiplied. I have managed to keep the rest alive though and will be moving them somewhere else this year hoping for a better place.

Jo, I'm so glad your mom is having some good days. I know that made your DS's visit more enjoyable even though I'm sure he won't want to leave. He sounds really special for doing the things for you that he has. That speaks to his raising! You done good!!!

MaryB, each time I see the sedums you sent me I remember how sweet your were. I've shared them with a couple of friends and my sister-in-law.

Sue, nice to see you back in the garden with help.

Debbie, how nice that your DD has found her life-mate, I wish them all the best.

Canna, I hope you are much better too.

Hugs to all! If I didn't speak directly I wqsn't neglect hyst my CRS disease.

Nancy

• mary_s
    18 years ago

Hi!
    I decided to go shopping instead of clean the house! Actually I was 'bummed' about the forecast(chance of wet snow overnight and freezing tomorrow night!) I took the water lily out of the pond and placed it in a bucket in the garage. Tomorrow I will need to decide if I want to try and cover the hostas Ugh! This happened last year and some still froze and looked awful half the summer.

Dianne, I am glad to hear the package arrived today. I hope all the plants survived the trip OK. My number was #3. Math was never my strong suit, LOL! I do hope some of those fabrics work out for your I Spy quilt. I would love to see it when you are finished.

Cody, yes I do have "Tatoo" and it is one of the "puny" ones. It does not like me very well. I got it as one-eye in a trade 2 years ago. This was supposed to be its "leap year" but looks like it is still one-eye. Maybe it will surprise me...it still is only about 1" out of the ground.
    I think I managed to kill "Robert Frost" "Lemon Twist" and "Fireworks" as far as I can tell.

Anita I am so happy things worked out for you to get little David for so long!

MaryS

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Cody I am interested in these daylilies
    hillbilly heart
    solid geometry
    flamboyant eyes
    I have these from your want list
    all american eagle
    polynesian love song
    wind frills
    beautiful edgings
    two part harmony

Debbie - I arrived home to your wonderful April box.
    You sent way more things than was required and thank you so much.
    Red tipped jade plant (I have the solid green but not this one)
    Garden Fairy (Oh I love the fairy, I have a wooden bowl filled with balls and it matches perfectly, it will stay in the house)
    12 Anemones
    15 peacock orchids
    12 tigridia mexican shell flowers (I have wanted to try these everytime I see them in a catalog)
    pink ground orchid (love orchids...goody)
    12 brodiaea 'Queen Fabiola'
    feather grass...aka ponytail plant (love this grass)
    3 dahlias 'Kogane Fubuki' (A new dahlia, can't wait to see this bloom)
    Wooden hanging spinner (have it hanging on the porch ..looks so good)
    Wood wind chimes (Can't believe I got these wind chimes, I lusted after these at Dollywood but did not get them for myself, I love to hear these tinkling in the wind.)
    Walking Iris Apostle Plant (will post a picture..just gorgeous)

Five daylilies:
    Heady Wine
    Clincher
    Shady Lady
    Sweet Revenge
    Highland Cherry Pie
    Looked all of these up and we definetely have the same taste in daylilies....LOVED LOVED THEM ALL. I just finished up doing a new daylily bed over the week-end. Now I have a new home for them.
    Debbie Thank You So Much, I loved everything.

Cindy-I also got your thank you box. Thank you so much for the daylilies. More daylilies for the new bed. Hold Your horses has to be the biggest single fan daylily I have ever seen. Wow you know how to grow daylilies. Can't wait to see these beauties bloom.

MaryS-Good for you...have some fun..go shopping. We can't work all the time. LOL

An update on my ankle...I started physical therapy last Friday. I went again today and it seems to be helping. I hate shots so they are giving me cortisone through some kind of electroids??sp It takes 20 minutes but still better than a shot. Then I do all these exercises to strengthen it. The air brace is the best, feels so good when I put it on.

Sharon-Oh how wonderful that you still have your Dad with you. I hope he lives many more years to come. Thank you Lord for this blessing. I love yard sale finds. I will post a picture and show you what my DD found me.

Jo-Glad your Mom is still doing well. And your DS from Korea has been home. What a blessing. I know you will miss him when he leaves tomorrow. I have been there and done that. I wanted mine home so bad when he was in the Marine Corp but hated the good-byes. My DS bought 12 kois and added them to our pond two weeks ago. They were huge.

MaryB-If you talk to Annie ask her if she got the irises I sent to her. I have not heard if she did.

Marea-Love your bonus daylily 'Chinese Watercolor'

Anita-Are you still planting daylilies? You probably are, as many as you bought.

My azaleas are putting on a show..irises are blooming now

Sharon the canadian geese is what my DD found at the yard sale, I love canadian geese and she knows it

I don't know why I planted this azalea in the middle of this iris bed???

This is the walking iris Debbie sent me...Just beautiful

Shirley

• namso
    18 years ago

Good morning all, a real quick checkin....

Hostas - almost all i have were new last year. still waiting to see what even comes back :) I don't know much about hostas either, have no wish list, and would be happy with any.

Shirley - glad you got. Hold Your Horses was actually part of incoming...from BOXCAR on the la. He sent enormous florida sized fans. :). Too bad i only ordered two from him, have been dissapointed on several other incomings. Great pics!

MaryB - thankyou for that info. didn't realize they could change that much. plopped that one into my cart to see for myself :).

Sherri, sent you mail.

Cindy O/namso

• skohler
    18 years ago

Earthly : Good to have you back with us & just remember
    friends words can help :))

shirly : great gardens :)) whish mine would stay as clean as yours :))

coty : I would like the 3fs sp sweet eye will trade for
    1 f scrabled ,1f sonata , 1f czar treasure Maybe if it came back :)) To cold out to go cheeck .

I have 3 babies cockitiels for trade :)))

also wanted to let any michiganders Know that there is going to be a plant swap in wayland at the city park on may 20th starts at 11 am - 2 pm hope to meet you there .

susie

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

A warm hello to everyone!

Sue, I am working on your box. I was hoping my daylily order would be here by now, but it's not. I have some things, but might stick some IOU's in the box to make up for the lack of whats ready to be dug now, unless more pops later in the week. I missed all last week from this job, so my only time is the weekend, and I will do my best to mail Saturday before the deadline. I think we were given to the end of the month, right?

I agree, Shirley your gardens are wonderful, and that walking iris is gorgeous.

Jo continued prayers, for your strength, for your mother's comfort and for your son's safe travel.

Hostas....boy oh boy, when I first moved into my house, they were everywhere. I dug them out like they were weeds. A man from church jumped at them when I said I was digging them out, he came and dug out plenty. Several years later I was kicking myself in the butt. I have probably about 10 different varieties, only Im not able to completely identify them all. That will be a chore for this season. I hear some of you saying they don't multiply quickly. I can't stop these suckers from growing.

Sharon, your pics are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy, ditto ~~ wonderful pictures, beautiful flowers,most especially those iris.

Does anyone in this group do roses? I cannot remember ever seeing a posted pic or hearing a conversation. I always thought I would have roses, but never really got into them. Do they do well in shade? If so, I could fill a bed and maybe never worry about that area again.

Marea, I love how you grow in pots. I wish I was doing that, because I keep telling myself I am going to move ~~ the itch is so great. Aside from all the house items, it would take a trailer to just hold plants. I tried to keep some perennials in pots from last season. I did something wrong, they did not make it.

Karen, WHAT A STUD! Hes gorgeous. Is he yours? Do you keep him at home or is he boarded? My dear friend is a very decorated horsewoman. Have you been riding long?

Speaking of gorgeous, Paul, your boy has a smile that just lights the heart.

Meghan and Mary Ellen, so sorry to have missed sending you timely birthday greetings. I hope they held an overabundance of smiles to fill your hearts.

Rebecca, I am glad you are doing better. Keep after those doctors -- just because they have the MD after their name does not mean they know it all. Demand to know! I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Dawn, I need my fix...more pictures please of your building progress. How truly wonderful to be so talented and able to take on such a task.

Debbie, congrats on the soon to be addition to your family. Sue hope he makes a good addition.

Sue, glad to hear you are getting a clearer/clean bill of health. Do what the doctor says.

Lisa, the cards you send are just so beautiful. Thank you so much. I so enjoy them.

I love the ugly daffs. I have them too, but I don't call them ugly. That isn't their name for real, is it?

Paul, I will mail my DVD¡¦s this weekend if that's okay with you.

Jean, why did you choose the name dirt pig? I love the name!

Cody, good luck with the new chicks.

Guess its time to actually do some work. Sad too, I should be so thankful for having a job, but Im so bored and really have no desire to be here. I keep thinking theres something more I should be doing with my life, but I just cant put my finger on it. By the time I figure it out, Ill be on the underside of the garden.

Hi to everyone else.
    Have a blooming day.

Maryanne/Earthly

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

Hey all, who is doing the Dahlia swap?? I just need to confirm if I am sending to Jo or if it was switched. Will be back later to catch up on the threads, been a busy week as usual.

Angie

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Maryanne, more big hugs to you. Jo, so happy to hear your mom is stable. hugs to you too. Gloria where is season 3? I think I got the shakes yesterday. I also don't know who I am sending to in the dahlia swap, mine are sending out tops so want to get them in the mail. I am having trouble deciding where to send my pal for her vacation I may bring her here to seattle to visit me. how do you mail a dead fish? does anyone know how to revive an old violet? I got a free one at a garage sale, it has two big woody stems, what do I do to get it blooming again? I had a good garage sale weekend I also got an old roll top desk no roll top but only 20.00 it is great for doing my bills, I love the little cubby holes. who in our group collects lighthouses?
    HUgs to all, I will try to get some daffy pics tomorrow

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Maryanne, talking about Roses ...

I need advice. I'm new to Roses. I did a wonderful trade last year for 2 new starts of a climbing rose called New Dawn. Both great starts. But the bunnies have eaten them down to stubs during the winter. They are still alive, but it's like starting from new again. I have one on each side of an arbor and would like them to get BIG.
    Question: how do I protect the base of the rose to a height that the bunnies will not be able to get to it? I would like the protection to be pleasant to look at, but will do anything I need to and just plant flowers to hide the base if need be.
    Would appreciate ANY advice ... don't know if they will survive another winter.

Shirley, loved the garden pictures. I love the geese your DD found for you!!!

Sherri, Your neighbor has a scape?????? I won't see one here for a month at least. Well, maybe stella.

sharon/tma

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Good Morning everyone,

Well, mom had a real bad night. I am functioning on approximately 3 hours of sleep, so if I make sp. mistakes, pls. bear with me. thanks.

SHARON, AND MARIANNE,

ON ROSES,
    I have grown roses for many years. Love them.
    If you live in z4-5, I recommend only buying "old roses", David Austin roses, or "english roses" as these cultivars are the most hardy. I no longer buy any hybrid roses because they last one or 2 years and my winters usually kill them off. No matter what I do to try and keep them. I do have a couple of exceptions, but they are not the norm. However if you just "have to have" that one particular rose, you can;
    mulch with "leaves" not hay or straw, this attracts rodents and they will use your rose for winter food, do the leaves "after the first freeze", then after the leaves, take a large bucket of soil, (yes soil), and pour over the top of the bush so that it forms a cone shape in the center of it, right ovver the crown. this will keep the crown safe and it will come back from it. I have used this method many times and it does work quite well, I just find it a real P.I.T.A. because you have to make sure you get out there in the spring and get all the soil out of there before it grows too much,because you will break off all the new growth trying to get it out of there, or the moisture begins to rot the crown.
    The "one thing" roses love above all else is BANANAS. Yes, bananas. The more ripe the better. you dig a very shallow banana shaped trench about 8-12 in. out from the base of the plant, set the nicly rotted banana in the trrench and cover it over.Do this all the way around the bush. In a few weeks you will see it take a growth spurt. I have done this with some phenominal results. But, make sure you only do this in the spring, never feed your roses in the fall, it will cause them to put out too much growth, and it takes too much away from the plant, and it will winter kill. You can also use well rotted manure, but again, only in the spring.
    Pruning;Prune off all winter kill. Choose an outfacing node and cut down into green wood, on an angle.but,
    again, only in the spring, as this also causes the bush to put out new growth. When you prune, always make your cut just above an outward facing leaf bud. never an inward facing one. You want your bush to have outfacing branches, never in facing as this promotes too much center growth, and will cause moisture to collect and the bush will have issues like blackspot, and fungus growth.
    another thing you can do to help your bush be strong, is prune off all of the roses as they start to fade. By doing this, it gives the strength to the plant that it would normally expend making rose hips. You can do this for the first couple of years to give your bush a good start, then just every other year after that.

I have several cultivars of "old roses" none have names, but all are very old and I have had them for years. I have sevral diff. pinks, one a really dark rasp red, and a white. They all have phenominal fragrence. The lighter pinks all spread by runners, so they need some space. The white is a slow grower, but it gets huge. I could only do cuttings for you of the white, it hasn't sent out any babies in a long time. The pinks I can get lots of youngsters from, if you want any.
    If you still have any questions I haven't thought to answer, let me know.

Marianne,
    I am sorry I never answered your wonderful e-mail. I did say a prayer for you on your loss of your wonderful uncle. He sounds like he was a wonderful role model and fantastic person. I am so glad you had so many wonderful years with him. And you have so many wonderful memories of him as well. I just know that whenever you think of him you smile. (am I right?) So, he is always with you.And his lessons sound like they were well learned, and are still in practice. Big hugs.

Carol (and others)
    PARTNERS FOR THE MAY DAHLIA SWAP (I just took myself out and partnered Carol and Angie)

Paul-Deni
    Carol-Angie
    Shirley-Cathy
    Carmen-MaryB

Sherri,
    I have the very old "lemon lilies" and none of mine have a scape on them yet, I am in z5 too.

Debbie,
    So happy for you and DD. Congrats on getting a new son. (smiles)

Shirley (and Debbie)
    That iris is stunning. Love it.

Well, time to go and get something done, have a great day everyone.
    big hugs,
    Jo

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

sharon
    wrap the base of the rose with hardware cloth or chicken wire, bury it a couple of inches and go up about two feet.

maryanne
    roses don't do well in the shade, they get leggy and flop. a little bit of morning sun is ok, but for the most part they're full sun plants.

sue
    i'd love spc scrambled, spc sonata and czars treasure for spc sweet eye

shirley
    for some reason i can't get beautiful edgings or two part harmony off of the want list. i got them both a while ago. how about polynesian love song and all american eagle for flamboyant eyes and solid geometry? lmk

cody

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

I got the wonderfulest box from Mary Barrett in the mail today. I would love to see her yard/garden if the plants she sent me are any indication....She saw that I had posted that I was going to start a shade garden in my yard and sent mostly shade or morning sun plants. Here is the list of all the great things I pulled from that single box.
    Leadwort (plumbago)
    Viola Labridorica
    Oriental Lilies-Tom Pounce and Dizzy
    English Primrose "Sue Jervis"
    Hosta 'Wolverine"
    Varigated Solomon Seal
    Pulmonaria
    3 daylilies-Firestorm-David Kirchoff-Breed Apart
    Dahlia 'Sunburst'
    And wildflower seed
    She also included Copper Plant Markers
    A Cheri Blum Journal
    and A Ghirardelli Chocolate and Caramel Candy Bar.

Mary you were too generous but I loved everything you sent. Thank you.

Shirley...Thank you for posting your pictures..I have saved them to use for ideas...I hope everyone else will post pictures of their beds, gardens, water gardens, ponds,etc as they build new ones or tidy old ones. I will as soon as I get anything accomplished. I wish I had some of those that Joey had posted last year...his yard was straight from a magazine.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words regarding my daughters engagement. He does seem like he will be a wonderful addition to our family. He is crazy about our daughter and that is what matters most.

I have lots of Walking Iris left if anyone is interested in a trade.

Debbie

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

Hi guys, hope you got me email on the Heuchera, I have ordered about 20 between the 2 coops, can't beat the price!

Jo hope you have better night tonight.

Marea and Shirley love the pictures. I need to get out
    there and take some, I have iris blooming everywhere.

Thanks for the info on the Dahlia swap, I need to get mine mailed too. They have sprouts, should I cut off the sprouts or let them go?????

My garden club plant sale is this weekend and I have to work until noon. I was out tagging and pricing plants. I have potted up about 80. I usually do over 100-125 but just couldn't get into it this year. Now it is saying it is going to rain during our sale. What happened to the nice weather??
    Maryanne, did you get my April box??
    Well got to go
    take care all.
    Angie

• bourret
    18 years ago

Hi All,

Sherri, Anita and anyone else who ordered from Daylily World. David Kirchoff called me on Monday and said they were very, very busy. The poor man sounded so frazzled. He said they wouldn't be able to send the daylilies I ordered until the end of next week at the latest. He also said my area was in for a cold spell so it works out well anyway.

Ta Ta,

Lisa

• onesherri
    18 years ago

She has scapes!!!!!!!!She has them every year. Only up side is they face my house so I get to enjoy. :) I have clumps of them all over the place and can't get them to send a scape at any time of the year. Stellas are my first to bloom too. But don't expect scapes on them until hers are done.

Shirley, your beds look great. Azalea is perfect in there. Looks like it blooms just ahead of the iris.

Lisa, Cindy and I already got our order but only about half of it could be split for two people. They were very small. Hope everyone else fares better since they are coming later. Sherri

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

I already got my daylily order from Daylily World. Was a little disappointed. One daylily fan was so tiny I thought it was a little weed. They will grow though. I actually thought a clump was 4 fans or more? Lord of the Storm was really small but I know I saw it on several orders.

Angie-I am having my iris sale this week-end. Weather is supposed to be nice. You never know when you advertise it in the paper the week before the sale. My family has their yard sale when I do my iris sale. They get all the people coming to buy irises. Works out well. I am going to join Daves Garden. Missed the heuchera sale. They have alot going on over there. $15.00 is worth it.

Gorge top gardens is having a 50% off sale on hostas. Good time to buy with our hosta trade coming up.

http://www.gorgetopgardens.com/hostas/uniqie-hostas.html

Cody I found flamboyant eyes on my list. I need to find where I planted it. Did not realize I had it. If you still have hillbilly heart I am interested in it with the solid geometry. I do have these to trade for hillbilly heart.

keen eloise 2 fans
    macho macho man 2fans

Shirley

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

shirley
    ok i will send you
    hillbilly heart
    solid geometry
    plus a suprise or two from your want list

you send me
    macho macho man
    keen eloise
    polynesian love song
    all american eagle
    does that work for you?

i spent all day yesterday dividing ornamental grasses. some of those bad boys were 4 feet across, it sucked hard core. anyway i posted them in the plant exchange forum and nobody wanted any, so i'll see if anyone here needs some.

everything is a one gallon size division
    miscanthus sinensis
    pennesetum atropurpurea
    phalaris 'feesey's form'
    festuca glauca
    miscanthus sinensis 'yaku jima'
    erianthus ravenniae

also have some 2 pink peonies, i think they're sarah bernhaerdt. they're not divisions, they're actual plants. i have several divisions of
    sedum reflexum,
    variegated mugwort,
    canadian anemone,
    variegated solomons seal,
    sedum matrona,
    greek oregano,
    sedum acre,
    carex ice dance,

my brother is getting married at my house in june and we need to clear out the excess in the worst way. anyone wanna come weed, edge, mulch and help transplant the 200 daylilies that i have lined out right now?? no...? well don't say i didn't offer!
    cody

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Cody, thanks for the rose info. Ii will make sure they are not put in that spot. And WOW, are they 200 new daylilies you got just for the occasion? Your place must be fantastic. How wonderful of you to add those touches to make your brothers day special. Is he helping you? If I lived closer, Id be there with boots, gloves and shovel.

Ill have to find something to fill this ultra shady spot because i am so tired of weeding it. maybe dawn will come across state with her backhoe once she's done on her end and dig it out and level it for me ... I can dream, can't i? so, if anyone wants to offer suggestions, i'm open to it.

Shirley, thanks for the hosta link. Ill have to really check it out more thoroughly and see what goodies they have to offer. I have to admit, i love some of the names. i really don't need another plant obsession, but what the heck, they work well in shade; maybe that's how Ill fill that back bed. Do you think you will be getting any more irises, or is that done now?

Last night I planted for my mother. She has a front bed that each year she fills mostly with annuals. My sister and I have been bugging her about filling it with perennials to cut down on her work ~~ would make it much easier since she's getting up there in years. so last night i dug and divided a bunch of my stuff and took it over to plant and then filled the gaps with some annuals. i even walked around her property with my shovel and dug/divided and by the time it was dark, the entire bed was filled. i did come across a nice hosta which she didn't know she had, so i split it and kept a piece for myself. Ill have to take a pic to see if i can have it ID. so much of my mom's flowers/plants on/near the property line made their way into the neighbor's yard -- i just want to stick my shovel over the fence and take it all back! Rather than cause a neighbor war, I decided to just move whatever was on her side to other places. when i think of all those iris and peonies, the temptation to not jump the fence is tough!

Angie, in answer to your question, the only box I received this week was the DVDs that came yesterday from Sharon. Perhaps it will be there today when i get home. i post right away when i receive, i never neglect that.

Did I tell you all how my whacky neighbor called the police on me because the leaves from my tree fell on her property? She started screaming at me the other morning and then threw a bucket and smashed two plants I just put in. (i think it hurt more because they were from my uncle) Can you imagine having this type of neighbor? Her husband abuses her right and left and she never calls the cops on him, but leaves fall from a tree and she jumps at the chance. Talk about displaced anger! I cant control mother nature, but if I could, we wouldnt have tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. People are so strange sometimes. No wonder I want to just go live in the middle of nowhere.

oh well, enough chatter for now.

be well everyone, happy blooms

maryanne/earthly

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Hello all,
    quick check in.
    Mom is not good today at all. She was unresponsive for most of the day. Then about an hour ago, when i went in to check on her, she opened her eyes. I asked if she was hungry, she said yes, very faintly. She did eat most of a banana, all of a sandwich, and most of her glass of apple juice. But, she is still very weak, and not real responsive. I have spent most of the day in and out of the house, checking on her and trying to get my gardens in some kind of order before the weeds take over. It has helped me immensly today.

Marianne,
    Hope all of the rose info i gave helps you.

got to go, have a good evening to everyone,
    Jo

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

Maryanne here is the tracking number 0103 8555 7497 9381 5338, it says it was delivered on the 14th. That is very strange. I hope your neighbor didn't get it.

Jo I am glad you had such a good day!!!

Well got to go.

Angie

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

maryanne
    i have some variegated mugwort, candadian anemones etc that do great in the shade. if you want some, they're your's for the postage. just let me know
    cody

• User
    18 years ago

June Hosta Shuffle participants, please check your email. Sharon has chosen her Send-To person early. I've heard she also colors outside the lines, but that's a subject for her therapist, not me. (wink)

Rather than bore everyone with picking partners here, I thought email would be better. We can post our goodies received here. Let me know if you don't get the email so I can make sure everyone's on the group email list.

Not to late to join, just drop me an email or post here. June 5 shipping deadline.

• User
    18 years ago

BettyBoop--your email bounced back to me. Can you send me your correct address so I can fix it in my records? Thanks.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

angie, i'll check on that with my local post office. thanks for the information.

jo, yes, i did get your rose information and printed it out. i apologize for not acknowledging you. my heart goes out to you with your mother. may God continue to bless you all.

cody, i would love to take you up on your offer, but feel you have so much to do right now to get your place in order for your brother. maybe afterwards? i don't want to make an undue work on you.

i really wish i knew the names of my hostas, i would love to get in on that swap. maybe next year :)

i find i have about a dozen plants that are tagless. thank God i have a list of the names. now i'm just itchy for some blooms.

enjoy your day everyone

maryanne/earthly

• mareas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maryanne, I've got unlabled daylilies this Spring, too, I know all about that that being THANKFUL for the list of names to ID them when they bloom!! (Been finding tags laying around with suspicious cat teeth marks - DANG that Bowie! Most of my pots also have a buried label, but he seems to have carefully chosen the ones that don't.)
    I feel so bad for you to have to endure those weird neighbors - stealing plants & calling the police over leaves - it ISN'T fair. They're kicking you when you're down. SO happy you have a stout heart and can look over their dim little heads to find goodness & beauty anyway.
    Your discontent with your current life sounds like me after 20 years of being a veterinary tech - i felt like i wasn't doing good anymore, just shuffling thru the motions with a group of people who DID NOT share my values. I took a deep breath to quiet my fear & just QUIT 2 years ago. Now I have proof the universe does provide. I have all the work I can handle - getting paid to help people & animals still, but on my terms as my own boss. And my employment as a drycleaner clerk 2 days a week feels like self-employment because I run the shop alone for 10 hours, for a spiritually beautiful couple busy with their main plant who come for a pickup & drop off once a day...
    Now we all know what to tuck in your swap boxes the rest of the year - hostas of course! I have a gallon potful of Valerian here for you, too.

CAROL - YOUR DAYLILIES ARE GETTING MAILED TODAY!!

Thanks for compliments about my pot ghetto! The watering of all my pots takes about an hour - i can't do overhead watering 'cuz I've semps mixed in everywhere. I want so much to be able to move to where I can plant gardens but have to wait a few more months...

Hosta shuffle choosing! So thrilling!! Come on Mary B - pick somebody.. Did everyone remember to list the hostas you HAVE on your member or trade pages?

Here's my 'Princess Irene' & red Triumph tulips
    {{gwi:1261628}}
    and a closeup of one the purple & white Triumph size ones
    {{gwi:1261629}}
    Happy gardening all ~ marea

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

marea
    we need to talk trade...i NEED amethyst reflections and destined to see. i'm redoing beds yet again...i don't know why i have to do it!! i don't have very many cool colors. also, you're the one i got semps from last year right? got anymore available? lmk
    cody

• mary_s
    18 years ago

I was checking in and noticed we are picking partners for the June hosta swap and its my turn! Sure do not want to stand in the way of progress! I will pick Mellen to send to!

Its rainy today and supposed to rain all weekend. Looks like my plants all escaped the mild frost Tuesday night. Still a chance of getting frost here yet.

MaryS

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Good Saturday Morning all!
    Just a quick note, then off to work.

Jo, I too wanted to thank you for the Rose information. I've got it printed and stored. Who would have thought bananas??? Thinking of you.

I've decided I've got to get rid of the mint in my very small flower bed since I've inlarged it by times 20. Or else it will take over the larger bed i've worked so hard on. So I've begun digging all the plants and bulbs out of it, will get rid of most of the soil and then use roundup.
    Any suggestions here, most appreciated. I know it is extreme.

Marea, beautiful tulips.

maryanne, 'Wacky' neighbors is right!!!!

Off to work,
    sharon/tma

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Marea, I am excited about getting my daylilies, has anyone ordered from gardenweb on la ?getting a little worried about that order. Maryanne dress up like little bo peep with a little basket and go to neighbors yard and pick up leaves, sounds like my nutty neighbor who dosen't speak english well and told me my cat peed by her door and I needed to keep my cat in the house, either my cat or dh couldn't understand him, so am not sure
    my new bed, hope daylilies get here dh is filling it with strawberries{{gwi:1261630}}
    last years bed, full now{{gwi:1261631}}
    one of my daffys{{gwi:1261632}}
    my pink tulip{{gwi:1261633}}
    my orange tulip{{gwi:1261634}}
    my red tulips{{gwi:1261635}}
    pink daffy{{gwi:1261636}}
    my anomene{{gwi:1261637}}

• mareas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh, Carol, you have so much ROOM! And such a beautiful stretch of lawn with those wide garden borders - wow! I haven't bought from that seller, but he has good feedback... 4 different people I bought from haven't emailed me about a ship date yet, either. Late May is when to get worried I think.
    I love both your and Sharon photos of the pink parasol daffs! I have 3 or 4 of those, too & really like them but didn't get a photo.

Jean, I had to study your photo to figure out what I was looking at - how quickly I forget I guess. BEAUTIFUL portrait of sedums with water drops (or is that ice? SO happy I got to move from MN to a warm climate.) I remember that everything grows so FAST up there for you when Spring finally hits...

I'm so gung ho about the Hosta Shuffle!! I can't wait to have an excuse to spend a day with my little collection under the apple tree in the backyard. I'm going to repot the ones that need it this year when I find out whats on my partners list.

Here is my triple daffodil, kinda elegant, isn't it? A purple sensation allium is budding up next to them - so exciting to finally see a big allium in person. Angie sent me some small purple ones last year that I adore - they're growing well too. Fun species! Wish ya'll a beautiful Sunday! marea
    {{gwi:1261638}}

• namso
    18 years ago

Good morning all,

I recieved a most fabulous & huge box fApril box from Lisa yesterday! ooohhh this huge box was filled with daylilies...

Pink Peppermint
    Rose Masterpeice
    My Melinda (from want list)
    Druids Chant (from want list)
    Mary Ethel Anderson
    Fooled Me - a HUGE 4 fan Clump
    Nosferatu - a HUGE 4 fan clump

I love them all...i think all of them were really on my want list :). love them all Lisa :):):)

If that wasn't enough, Lisa also included:
    Bath Sachet - oh this smells really good.
    Herbal Soap - yep smells really good too
    A Netrogena bath set
    2 Kitchen Towels - herb design. I love these.
    Udderly Smooth hand lotion - use this alot!
    Deep Woods Off - oh i needed
    Lavender Vanilla Candle
    Herseys Cholocolate Syrup
    A Caligraphy set - already claimed by DH
    A beautiful butterfly plant stake
    AND a homemade card! her ist from her Donna Dewberry classes. it is wonderful

Thankyou so much Lisa. you have more than outdone yourself. I loved everything/

i will try and grab a pic of the card and post later today. have to work :( bbl to catch up more.

Cindy/namso

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Good morning everyone!

Just thought I'd give a quick note to say hi. Much as I'd love to join the swaps, I lost an inordinate amount of hostas and daylilies to what I believe are voles. About 1/3 of my pots have holes where the plants used to be. Even the drain holes at the bottom were chewed out larger. I'm still waiting to see what comes in a little more so I can have a better handle one what a do and don't have. Needless to say I'm very bummed.

Next week, I'm going to the spring swap with someone who hosts two swaps a year at his wonderful gardens. If anyone who lives in Philly area wants to come to a very cool swap and see wonderful gardens to be jealous of, you won't be sorry. It's being held in Burlington NJ near, I believe, the Burlington Bristol Bridge. Not a lot of daylilies swapped but everything else under the sun! Email me if you are insterested for more details - or check under the New Jersey Exchange forum - for more details.

Jo - I'm really sorry to hear that your Mom is not doing well. Good luck and hang in there. ((( HUGE HUGS )))

Dawn - I don't know if you'll have time to read this but I laughed at your email about looking for a "medium" sized tractor that you won't be afraid to use. We just got out "medium" sized tractor cause I was complaining that I didn't want to climb on the big one. Has a front loader and a belly mower which works really well on our fields. Now we need to get a digger and more 3 pt hitch tools to use to plow our fields, etc. This new tractor is great!

Paul - your son's a real cutie!

Ellen

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

I have a question, a daylily question........

I picked up some plants at a garage-plant sale yesterday. I got a big bag of an unnamed daylily that was labelled ...double orange for $1

I noticed the leaves are much wider than I've ever seen on a daylily and was scrolling the internet looking for pics. I came across a post on GW where someone had a DBL orange and said it spread via runners and to contain it in a pot it was KWANSO and invasive.

Now I'm worried. I didn't know daylily could be invasive. Should I put it in a pot just to be safe???????

I just did battle with chinese lanterns having found it had gone crazy with underground runners and had to dig up 25 sq. feet of garden this week to hopefully (cross my fingers) get it all out!

I don't want to go thru that again with an innocent looking daylily.

I have no blooms on it to show you- it is too early here.

Oh yes the horse- well I've always loved horses and had them as a kid and when I got married and agreed to live here I said it would be on two conditions. I would have a horse and and a dishwasher!

This breed is called Missouri foxtrotter. They are a gaited breed. If you go to the official website you can see a clip on how they move their feet for porshelike smooth ride. They have the disposition of a large dog. Always hanging over the fence looking for attention!!! and snacks- oh that's kinda like me!!

Shiloh, my gelding, (pictured) will be two next month. His momma is a palimino 16yo and going back to have a date at the stud farm today.

LMK about the daylily. I want to plant it today.

If you could email direct on it that'd be extra sweet of you

Karen

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Happy Sunday everyone!

I'm taking some time to do some catching up this morning.

Mellen, a VERY, VERY, belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. I'm sorry for missing your special day. Hope it was wonderful.

Jo, how is your mom doing today? And what about you? I hope you are taking it easy. You have alot on your plate right now. Please don't forget to take care of yourself. I say a prayer for your mom every day and hope she is comfortable. Getting out into the garden will do you good, physically and mentally. : ) It always gives me the lift I need if i'm feeling down.
    On a side note, my JoAnn's hardly has any pots this year. I'm so sad! Last year they had several FULL aisles, this year there were about 4 or 5 pots stuck in a corner. Wonder why? I really thought the quality was very good. Maybe they didn't sell??? I did buy a stained-glass-birdhouse-tealight-holder. : )
    You can see it here with my pansies.....

Where's catbirdsue?? Did you get my email about the Miscanthus 'Gracillimus'/plant tags trade?

Maryanne, so sorry about the geeks that live next door to you. I have dorks as neighbors too, which is high on the list of reasons why we are moving. I don't understand how some people can have so much time on their hands to worry about something as trivial as a few fallen leaves.
    I've been so busy and haven't taken as many pics as i'd have liked to, but I have a few to post. I will try to take some when I go over there today. : )

Canna, I was really worried about you. I hope you are feeling better. I had to laugh when everyone was posting about your E.R. visit sounding similar to their E.R.'s. Same thing here. Going to the emergency room turns into at least a whole day affair. The last two times I had to go it was so jam-packed that they stuck me in the rubber room. They actually have a room with padded walls that is very dark and I guess used for any kooks that happen to come in. : )
    How are the kids doing? And Louise and her DH? Have they quit smoking?

Deni, i'll send your Lysimachia along soon. Would a flat rate box stuffed full be enough? I can send more.

Paul, your son looks so handsome in that pic. I really enjoy seeing your photo's. How's the DVD RR going?

Cody, i'd love to visit you and your chicks.
    I was dividing grasses all week too. I have a way to do it that makes it suck hardcore much less. : )
    Digging up the clump is still hard, but once it's out of the ground I use a sawzall and slice it into nice chunks. It works so good.

Karen, your horse is so beautiful. Stunning! You must be proud. I'll have to show my mom his pic. My mom just emailed me and was going to spend the day bathing her horses. I'll bet you two would get along good. Do you show?

MaryB, i'm so glad you liked your box of goodies. 'EOD' is gorgeous.

Carol, lovely pics of all your blooms. I just finished eating all that Easter candy you sent. : ) I haven't had malted milk eggs in sooooo long. Yummy!
    I love your siggy with the teddy bear & ladybug. Cute!

Cindy, great idea! I think you're onto something. A heavy equipment amusement park! LOL! I'd go. : )
    I do have fun running Bob, and he's been helping me immensely up at the new place. I have to put in yet another temporary holding garden today. I've got two filled up already. I didn't even start to take the big stuff over yet.

Shirley, how's the foot? I hope it's healing well. Love your Iris pics. : )

Sharon, love your pics! I really love P. 'David Ward'. I have to put that one on my "want" list.
    That pic of your son is so funny! He's a brave soul.

Anita, so glad you got the baby for a few days. It was the LEAST she could do. Will you take a picture of your Iris bed when it's blooming this year? I'd love to see it again. It was so pretty.
    I've god sad news......my yellow Peony did not survive. Waaaahhhhh! I've been crawling around on the ground every day, looking for signs of life. All my others are way up, so I knew there was something wrong. I dug it up yesterday to inspect and it was hard as a rock. : (

Speaking of losing plants, I lost several DL's this winter. The one i'm most confused about is 'Storm of the Century'. I had two large clumps that were very healthy and pretty well established and neither came back. Boy am I bummed. I think I sent a fan or two of that one out in trades last year but can't remember who I sent it two? I'm wondering if yours came back?

Marea, love your pics. Thanks for the kind words. That triple Daff is elegant! Your picture captures the sparkle. I'll be following your lead and growing lots of things in pots over the next year or so. I've already got a water buffalo set up at the new place. I can't wait 'till we have running water. : )

MamaG, how are things? Hope you are feeling okay. HUGS!

Jean, I saw the cutest flying pic garden sculpture but now I can't find it, darn it! I thought of you.......it was so cute!

Lisa, your posts and emails are always fun to read!

Dianne, you're doing a great job with the Hosta Shuffle. Did you have that gathering at your place yet? And how is the baby's quilt coming?

I took a few shots of some of the things blooming here in my yard......

My Forsythia Arch looks pretty filled in this year. Yes, I am taking it with me. Should be quite interesting when we go to move this one, lol.

Here is a new Magnolia I bought in the fall on clearance...

Well, both of my sisters who had been looking for houses each got one last week! Funny how things work out. I'm excited to help them move and share lots of my perennials with them.

We are almost finished with excavation for the house. The digging for the garage area is done. Note where the red arrow is.....that's pretty much all the further we need to go.

That area up there beyond the red arrow will be my back yard.

The base for the driveway is almost done. We are finishing up one last drain, then we just have to spread the rest of the #3 gravel.

{{gwi:1261644}}

This pic roughly shows where the house & garage will sit. The white line denotes the path of the driveway. As you drive up, you will pass the 3 bay garage on your left and pull up to the garage doors onto the house. I'm not sure what i'm going to do with five garage bays, but I'm pretty excited. Right now I have so much junk in my garage that I have to suck in my gut when I get in & out of my truck, LOL!

I ordered my cabinet pulls for my new kitchen...

....and i'm ordering these exterior "birdhouse" lights....

Depending on what brick or stone color we pick for the house, I may have to paint them. Not sure I like that green color. I'm thinking something brown....

DH just rolled his eyes and shook his head. He can't believe i'm ordering this stuff already. I'm afraid when the time comes they won't be available anymore. That's my luck.

Wait 'till you see the two man-doors i'm getting for our garages! Think peacock!

I inventoried all my Daylilies yesterday (finally!) and will have my list updated later on. I will have my Hosta list updated soon too. ; )

Time to get to work.........

HUGS TO ALL and sorry if I missed anybody,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

WHEW!!!

• namso
    18 years ago

Good morning all,

Debbie, i forgot to say Congrats on your daughters engagement! awesome. oh and i think those peonies you sent awhile back are going to bloom...finger crossed but looking good :):).

Karen, in the right conditions, Kwanzo can be very invasive. i would not put in a regular bed. i gave one here its very own place it can roam if it wants.

Sherri, no scapes on that lemon lily you sent. think i might have killed it :(. thought i was finally going to get something to grow under that tree. but looks like no luck again.

Marea, Carol & Dawn, what great pics! Dawn i love those drawer pulls!

Hostas - jazzed about Hosta Shuffle. need to go out and inventory though. know i lost some, but alot are back :).
    should get some time today I hope.

Still busy with incoming here. only 3 more small boxes to go. sure hope they come this week, all said may shipping.

ok as promised, Lisa card artwork. very talented! somehow i got the background grey not white, but you can see how pretty it is!
    {{gwi:1261647}}

and the cute butterfly plantstick
    {{gwi:1261648}}

thankyou again Lisa

Cindy O/namso

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Karen, I have some of those kwanso lilies and while they do need room to roam a bit they are easy to keep control of. They do start to spread pretty quick after a few years and they will grow on runners when they have no more room to come up in their area. I would not consider them invasive but will be one that you want to divide every couple of years to keep under control. Sherri

• bourret
    18 years ago

Hi Cindy,

I'm glad you got your swap box. Did you get it on Saturday?

Lisa
    bourret@gwi.net

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

Ok thx for your advise of the dbl orange DL. Just in case it is that kwanso I gave it a spot of it's own.

Rain caused our first trailride to NOT happen. It was still a great weekend. We got to see my 'adopted Grandma' Pearl- age 94! As well as a yearling gelding, Li'l Joe, we sold last fall. My old and crippled dog- who was seemingly dying- having refused food and drink for 4 days suddenly became interested in eating and drinking again- We should re-name him Lazarus....

The house property pics and flower pics are nice.

I was able to buy some intersting plants recently- one is called ligularia 'britt marie crawford' that is LOVELY and another veronica 'aztec gold'

toodles Karen