SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitestation

Newbie to Memphis, TN questions

whitestation
17 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any info. I have gone from the CA high desert to Memphis and needless to say nothing is the same. We moved into the winner of the ugly house contest last year and I finally have a little time to try to make an impact on at least part of the yard.

I saw the posts about poison ivy so think I can handle that now, but I am trying to do some longer term planning while I play at clearing at the parts with brush(?), jungle(?) and can't find any information, including at the extension office about the chill hours for Memphis. They were helpful with some other questions. Does anyone know an approximate number of chill hours? I used to have several fruit trees and a vegie garden larger than my whole yard here and would like to plant a couple if I can find any sun. That may be impossible because we have several very large oak trees that block the sun in much of the yard, then any suggestions for perinnials for the shade? Is it even possible between the heat and shade to grow grass on the bare spots?

I appologize in advance if I become a pest with questions. Someone just tell me to be quiet nicely. Thanks for suggestions.

Charlotte

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus