SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beadaholic_gw

I am in Mexico & have issues....or concerns

beadaholic
15 years ago

Hi, I am starting a garden. One way or the other. I would like to do SFGing. My reasons are the following. I live on a small Ranch with no good areas around the house that has good soil. Our soil is really poor near the house, white colored and hard. We do have loads of weeds. Some as big as 5 meteres high. We do have good soil quite a ways from the house (acres away) and the problem is that it is dificult to get there and protect it from the wild animals. So my idea is to do SFGing instead. But from reading I see that I need peat moss, I have no idea where to get this from here. Or what it is called in spanish! (help anyone?). We have areas full of rotten leaves on top of rocks under a nice canopy of trees, I imagine this is good for the mulch part of the formula. I can go to the river nearby and get a few truck loads of river dirt which is very rich and dark, mix this with the rotten leaves, but then I need vermiculite. I think I can get that here, but again I am not sure. If anyone has ideas I would appreciate the help. I am running into the problem of people thinking I am nuts to want this, but with the economy the way it is, I can't believe that it won't help too. I have some areas where sheep and goats have lived, and there is alot of manure there. I can get cow and horse manure too, but it would be fresh and that won't work. I am also planning on having chickens, rabbits and quail. We have alot of iguanas, but I don't eat iguana. hehe, I like to watch them. I feel that in my area that pesticides have been overused and that pests will be a real issue. I am hoping that I can somehow do some kind of natural thing to keep things in check.

Anyway, I apprecaite any help or ideas. I am doing this all by myself, and for my own needs. I am almost 50, and I live alone, so whatever I do I have to do it on my own, I can get some extra help off and on...

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH