SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alamo5000

Too Many Choices/ Help planning my garden

alamo5000
14 years ago

I grew my first full garden last year here in SE Texas. I believe I had really good results all things considered (drought conditions, repeated 50mph winds, and I planted too early and had a frost).

It was definitely a learning experience but I ended up with some excellent tomatoes.

Before I get to my questions here are a couple of key tips just in case there is some other newbie out there.

1. If you use garden starter kits with the pete pellets make sure you remove the netting around the roots before you set out your plants into the garden. I had to go perform surgery last year after they were set out because some of my plants were going nowhere. After I fixed them they were fine but it was a lot of extra worry and work. This year I am considering skipping the pete pellets and going straight into cups.

2. Do not plant too early! If you are dumb like me you got over anxious and ended up with a garage full of plants with a month still to go before you can set them out. On top of that I had to transplant twice, instead of once. (once from my pete pellets to cups, then to the ground later on which was a lot of extra work) Also when the final frost came I was scrambling to find some way to cover them all up and it was again, a lot of extra unnecessary work. Fortunately I only lost a couple plants to frost and I didnÂt get tomatoes any sooner than if I had waited in the first place.

3. Use good potting soil. There are no exceptions. Buy the good stuff. DonÂt go around digging up dirt from your backyard in order to save a buck.

4. Plant extra plants because if you are like me, you started out with 70 plants and only ended up with maybe 30 due to trial and error or other factors.

5. If you use miracle grow at any stage of your gardening make sure you do not mix it too strong. It can and most likely will kill your plants if you mix it too strong or at very least set you back while the plants recover from the ÂburnÂ.

Now all that is out of the way, I have some questions for the old timers.

Last year I grew 7 or 8 different varieties.

Azoychka- it was good and grew more tomatoes all season long than all the other plants combined. Every time I turned around there were some more on the vine. I liked them, and lots of people at work liked them too. It wasnÂt bad, but I am not growing them again this year just so I can try something else. They are not so special that I canÂt live without them.

Brandywine Suddith Strain- this one was absolutely awesome. I loved it and plan to grow extra plants of this variety this year. That being said, there are 3 or 4 different kinds of brandwine tomatoes out there. Is there any big difference between the different ones? (Check out tomato growers dot com)

The brandywine I had seems to set the fruit much later than the others, but what I got in the end was awesome.

That being said, my second question, the tomatoes labeled Âearly Âmid ÂlateÂin the catalogÂdo you usually have a couple plants from each category or do you just ignore that? What difference does it really make? Should I plan a garden around that? If you do go by that, what type of tomatoes do you grow in each category?

There are simply too many choicesÂyou have big pink ones, big red ones, little red ones, little pink ones, medium size round ones, ridges on them, smooth ones, and so on and so forth.

Third, there are so many colors of tomatoes itÂs ridiculous. ItÂs enough to confuse anyone. Last year I grew white cherry tomatoes and a couple of different yellow ones and some bi colored slicers. White tomatoes are barred from my garden unless someone has something special to show me. Bi colored tomatoes didnÂt impress me either.

The yellow sweet gold ft hybrid were definitely a hit and did better than almost all others in terms of number of tomatoes and taste. I am growing more this year for snacking purposes [one plant is enough because they produce A LOT]. Out of the rainbow I planted this was the only one so far that gets a second chance, although I tasted a yellow pear tomato once several years ago that was really good which I am thinking of testing those out too.

With my results I am finding that my pallet largely likes big red (or pink) slicing tomatoes most. Even at that itÂs not a slam dunk and not so simple because there are SO MANY choices.

I grew some giant belgiums and didnÂt like them nearly as much as brandywine suddithÂ.then you have the mid, early, late, etcÂ

Are there any other varieties to test out considering my reference point of brandywine suddith? Like I said, there are early, mid, late, round fruit, mid size fruit and every other thing known to man available.

I would like to get opinions on black cherry tomatoes too because I heard they are good, but after my experience with other colors I would like to ask before I do it.

Generally though colored tomatoes= dud.

[However cherry tomatoes as a whole were producing before all others and were going strong when all others stopped so I still want some cherries.]

Same question for the following orange tomatoesÂsun gold hybrid or sun sugar ft hybridÂare they worth a shot?

Last year I grew sugar snack nt hybrid (red cherry) and they did well. Taste was good until it got too hot outside. I am considering swapping out this breed for one of the orange ones mentioned above depending on what people have to say about it.

Lastly I am considering Opalka for a paste tomato. Any comments on that one?

As you can tell I have a lot of questions. Largely there is no other way than to do it but by good old trial and error [because not all taste buds are created equal], but I would like to narrow down my choices and have a good productive garden... I wish I could have a big old tomato taste off, that would narrow down years of trial and error to minutes of ruling this one or that one out.

If someone else has trialed and errored for me in regards to the early, mid, late question that might help a lot.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner