SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

5th annualBored outa my Gourd seed swap

beth_b_kodiak
18 years ago

I'm NOT bored this year but I do want to keep this one going. Your seeds will need to be mailed to me by April 1 so I can sort and remail them before I go on vacation.

Usual rules apply about number of seeds per pack.

Send postage to cover cost of returning your seeds.

Send address label for return mailing.

Use padded envelope for mailing.

You will get back seeds for "Bushel Gourds" in addition to your swap seeds.

If you grow the biggest gourd from these seeds and send a picture with the measurements you will win a prize in October.

Minimum number of seed packs will be 10. Max# will be 30.

You can send up to 3 packs of the same seeds.

If you want to send extras of seeds that you have in surplus feel free. They will be given away as bonous packs.

To avoid getting your own seeds back.... be sure your name is on every pack that you send.

Seeds can be flowers, herbs or veggies . No shrubs or trees this time please

Sending a wish list with your seeds inproves your chances of getting things that you want.

Thanks for reading. I hope this swap strikes your fancy and you join in. BB

Comments (56)

• dancingmoons
    18 years ago

Sue,
    your SPECIAL without a sig!!!
    Blue skies!
    Trish

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Messages have gone out to Michelle, Jodi, Trish. Carol, Sue and Kelly. You are ALL special and I'm glad to have you in the swap. Kelly in FL will have an advantage weatherwise on gourd growing but we'll see what happens there. Mother Nature seems to have a knack for throwing the unexpected at us.
    Go ahead and start mailing as soon as you are ready. Just, not later than April 1. I want to get the seeds back out in time for spring planting in most parts of the USA. THe gourds need a long season and starting indoors is a good idea.

• Related Discussions

Pumpkin,Winter Squash and Gourd Swap at the Round Robin Forum

Q

Comments (1)
    At what temperature is pollin viable? I have been growing pumpkins for 40 years here in Alaska and am having trouble producing and using what pollin there is to set the fruit. We are having an unusualally cool summer.
    ...See More

Bored???Second Annual Bored outa my gourd swap

Q

Comments (55)
    Beth - my package came, too! Thank you very much for all of your hard work sorting thrue everything for us. You did a great job on my package. I was surprised to see so many of my wish items in there! The gourd seeds are great. Thanks again and thanks to everyone else that participated and sent in the goodies to share! Marie
    ...See More

IE/IH October-Pumpkins, Squashes & Gourds Swap

Q

Comments (65)
    I just finished packing up everybody's seeds and they are ready to go into the mail tomorrow morning(going to send my hubby to the P.O. in the morning to do the deed, teach him to take a vacation day LOL) Once they reach you , please come back on and post here to let me know you received them. I am always a nervous wreck until my packages reach their new homes safe and sound. I want to thank everyone here for joining this swap. I really enjoyed hosting it. And I think the best part was going over everyones wish lists and learning about all of the squashes that are out there. I am now better prepared to grow them myself due to the research I did for this swap....I found myself up late at night googling all of the fascinating squashes in bed on my cell phone LOL,and I loved every second of it!! So Thank You all again ....and I look forward to our 2011 Incredible Edible season!!
    ...See More

Secret Santa Seed Swap 2016 (9th year)

Q

Comments (413)
    To my gardening friends, I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas and and an even better New Year. I know I am a bit late in expressing my gratitude, but it's being an emotional roller coaster for me. Much as happened to lower my sprite, but my friends here have help tremendously to make this a great Christmas season for me. I would like to thank the following people who have so graciously shared a part of their garden with me. To Heavenlyfarm, thank you for Miss Jekyll Blue and Clematis seeds. And yes I was surprised. Your thoughtfulness was appreciated. To VA (no alias in card). Thank you for so many seeds. Some of my favorites includes Foxglove mix, Spinach, Bee Balm and Celosa Pink. I will be busier than a bed trying to plant so many seeds. Thanks again. To CH, thanks you for Bonanza Harmony Marigold, Asclepius incarnate (swamp Milkweed and Cassia Alana. You've helped to make this gardener feel so special.
    ...See More
  • ladybug_05
    18 years ago

hi Hope Im not to late would love to join in.Need to know the seed number per pack.Thanks Angela

• uptomyeyeballs
    18 years ago

I would love to join, I hope I am not too late. I am new to seed swapping so let me know any special details. I am excited to give it a try.
    Kendra

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kendra, your email is blocked to replies here on GW. You can unblock it on your member preference page.

• agardenofweedin
    18 years ago

Interested- please send Addy. First timer so I'm curious about # of seeds per pack. Thanks. Joy

• cbell
    18 years ago

Hi, I'd love to join this and I am also curious about the number of seeds per pack to send.Please send me the address and seed # info. Thanks.
    cbell

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Joy, Cbell and any others needing the info... number of seeds per pack varies with the size and availability (rareness I guess) of the seeds. Details are listed in the seed exchange Frequently asked question section. Takea look and then give a holler if it still does not make sense.
    Joy, your email is blocked to replies. You can change that on your member preference page. Then I can send you a mailing address.
    Cbell the address is on it's way.
    Thanks for signing up.BB

• dancingmoons
    18 years ago

Mornin' Beth!!
    Happy Spring to All !!
    My seeds are in the mail to you today!
    Blue Skies,

• uptomyeyeballs
    18 years ago

I hope my email is fixed now, please give it another go.
    Kendra

• uptomyeyeballs
    18 years ago

I got your email Beth! Thanks for being patient with me. I am excited to get on the ball today and get stamps and envelopes ready (three small children permitting) I am so excited to participate in my first swap!!
    Kendra

• clay_lady
    18 years ago

I would love to be a part of the swap. than ks clay_lady

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Clay Lady, I sent you the address. Glad to have you joining in.
    Seed pagkages arrived today from Trish and Michelle. You two are really on the ball.
    Michelle, thanks for the cards. Sure not necessary but certainly sweet, thoughtful, and useful. I Do a lot of mailing and try to keep a suply on hand.
    Some very interesting seeds in those packages too. This is looking like a good swap and I'm going to plant my gourd seed while I'm in MD in April. I never get them to get ripe here. Hope that works OK by long distance. It should unless the Squash vine borers are bad this year. We'll see.

• kellyinflorida
    18 years ago

Hi,

I mailed my seeds today.
    Thank you for hosting the swap.

Kelly

• kellyinflorida
    18 years ago

Hi Beth,
    I have a question about the bushel gourds that I hope you can advise me on. I have grown birdhoue and dipper's before but now I am more limited on space. I have a spot about 10x20 that I'd like to put the bushels in. I was wondering if I could plant them in large pots (10 gallon) and then let them sprawl where they want. The pots are about 30 inches deep. Do you think that would be deep enough for the roots? I'm thinking 2 plants per pot.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kelly

• uptomyeyeballs
    18 years ago

Ok I I got the pack of seeds in the mail today! But then OH NO! I got home and happened to glance at you address and OOPS! I spelled your street name wrong. I left the ia off of the end. I sure do hope it gets there! I would hate to screw up my first swap!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kelly, I know absolutely nothing about gardening in Florida. I'm thinking that if you can water often enough, daily or maybe even more, it should work. I have grown all sorts of stuff in pots and tubs in tht years I've been traveling. Manure tea is great for stuff done that way. The bushel gourds will become large hungry, thirsty plants and will take more time and attention in buckets than if grown in the ground but I believe you can do it.
    Joy, your seeds arrived. Nice fat generous packs. Thanks, I'm emailing you. Thanks for the worm too. He's a cutie.
    BB

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Sorry Beth, I don't have as many gourd seeds as I thought so I will have to drop out, sorry but my gourd seeds dissapeared. hugs carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops. did I make it sound like you need to send gourds??? No need to send gourds in but I do hope you will grow the ones I send back to you. At least one vine...... like Jack's Beanstalk

• threeshyacres
    18 years ago

Hello Beth,
    My seeds are going out in tomorrow's mail. Hope I'm not too late. Please let me know...thanks.

Happy Spring,
    Jodi
    'ThreeShyAcres'
    : )

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

My seeds are in the mail. Thanks Beth for hosting!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Seeds arrived from Kelly in FL on Saturday. Seeds from Jodi and Sue are "in the mail".
    Things are shaping up nicely on this swap. Anybody else want to get in???? WE are just about out of time. Hard to believe Easter is just two weeks away.

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

I want in! I could have my seeds out by Monday.
    I need your address again, I have it somewhere in my computer desk! And my computer desk is a mess, LOL!
    I'm looking forward to trying the bushel gourds! They sound very interesting! Can they be dried out like a birdhouse gourd?

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

My package was mailed out today as promised. It should arrive with in a few days! Thanks for letting me join!

• clay_lady
    18 years ago

Sorry
    I had to have my package sent out-- because I fell last week and had to have a tetnus shot - x-rays of my leg and stitches in my leg. I still can't believe that I fell like I did. I was trying to put up a barrier to keep my dogs out of the flower beds and I fell on the cut off bronze fennel( from last season). I knew as soon as I felt the puncture that I had made a big mistake. I am able to get up today, but still have swelling and seepage. I hope the package makes it in time. Thanks alot clay_lady

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I can get mine out tomorrow since they don't gotta be gourds
    sorry for being so late. hugs carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

EeeeeOuch, Clay lady, that sounds awful. Puncture wounds are hard to heal and are likely to get infected. Sorry you needed stitches but at least that way the Docs get it cleaned out. Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    OK Veeja, You are good either way. Whatever wotks best for you.
    Seeds arrived today from Cameron and
    Not for the swap, but quite exciting
    My first seeds purchased from the lily auction.
    Whoopie.... another addiction. I can feel it in my bones already ;o))

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A nice fat package of seeds arrived today from Sue S. Thanks Sue. I'm waiting for two more. If they arrive tomorrow I'll get them sorted and back out Saturday. Hope it works that way.
    I'm getting excited about leaving for my Easter trip. I'll be meeting Carol Veeja for the first time but feel like I know her already. A very short visit, just a couple hours but sure better than not meeting at all ;o)
    I met Jeanette,Number 1 Angel last fall and that was a real treat too. What a terrific bunch of gardeners we have here.

• uptomyeyeballs
    18 years ago

OH NO! My pack of seeds came back to me today! I mailed them a while back and when I got home from the PO I noticed I had left the ia off the end of the street name. I hoped for the best, but the worst has happened. They were returned to me today. :o(
    I can mail it tomorrow if you would like, or if need be, I can opt out this time :( Let me know.
    Kendra

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Kendra, sorry to hear that the P O was being typically "postal". I'm sure there is no other Concord... anything around here and they could have figured out where it belonged if they wanted to. Sometimes I think they make things difficult simply beacause they have the power to do that.
    Unfortunately, I'll be gone before it would get here if you remailed it. I'll just finish the swap with the ones that are here now. So sorry about that. I could do a one for one blind swap if you want or send you some seeds for SASBE but it will be too late for the package to get here for this swap. I'll leave it up to you.
    seeds that I have here now are from:
    Trish
    Sue,
    Mickerey
    Jodi
    Cameron A
    Angela S
    Joy
    Carol B
    Kelly B
    Beth B

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Beth,
    Hopefully, my seeds will be there tomorrow! USPS confirmation 0305 1720 0000 6251 8419.

I mailed them out on the 3rd, first class/parcel.

• uptomyeyeballs
    18 years ago

Well I've already got the package weighed and packed up, I may as well send it on. I appreciate your offer for a sasbe, I was so looking forward to the gourd seeds(and trying other new varieties). I grew birdhouse gourds for the first time last year and I think I am hooked! In fact if you don't have birdhouse gourd seeds already, I would be happy to send some along. Let me know, sorry and thank you!
    Kendra

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kendra, I know what you mean about getting hooked on growing gourds.The first ones I grew were lufa sponge and I never saw anything grow so fast. I used them for shade on the sun porch and they got to be about 30 feet tall.
    Here in AK they don't have enough time to ripen so I always trade for or buy new seeds. I'll get some planted in MD this year and hope to get some biggies from them.
    I'll be sure to send you some gourd seeds.
    Kendra, you are still coming through as having email blocked. If you will click on my name here and send an email with your address.... I'll get some seeds on the way to you.
    Debbya, it's still too early for the mailman here but I'll let you know when he/she arrives.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No seeds yet from Debbya so it will be Tues or Wed when I get these mailed. Sorry about the delay. I do have the other seeds sorted and it looks like we will all have a lifetime supply of foxgloves. ( maybe some other stuff too) I sure don't mind as they are among my favorites and I will be planting lots in MD.
    The Mid Atlantic branch of Garden Web has swaps for Spring and Fall and I can take surplus plants there. Looks like I'll be running out of space and energy before I run out of plants. LOL Thanks everyone for joining in and for your pateince with the delay. Actually, only a day or two so not bad at all.
    Have you got a plan for how to grow the biggest gourd this summer??? I'm starting with compost and mulch. Wish I had some good old horse manure.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Seeds arrived today from Debby A and from Lynn N. Yippeee.
    Now I'm scrambling to get them sorted and packed before time to go to work. If I can't get done, I'll finish in the morning before I go to sleep.
    Just wanted to let you know.... now, back to the seed piles.
    BB

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

I'm so glad they arrived!

Thanks Beth for putting this together for us, and giving us an opportunity to try bushel gourds!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Angela it looks like I got your last initial wrong when I listed the players in this swap back there on the 8th of April. Sorry for the error and confusion. Angela should be Angela J not "S"
    All seed packets including Kendra's should be in the PO by this afternoon.

• kellyinflorida
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I was out in my yard this morning admiring my gourd babies when I noticed I was being watched just a few feet away. I ran to get my camera to show you who was stalking me! No worries, I have a fence between he and I so I think I am safe until he gets as big as his Mother who is 10 and 1/2 feet long! I am always amazed at the wild life living just a few feet away from me, everyday is a new bird or turtle or even gator joining me in my yard. This guy is about 3 to 4 feet long.

• agardenofweedin
    18 years ago

I received my seeds today. Great selection and I'm very excited about my bushel gourds. There are several seeds I used to grow before I moved-- now I can try them again. Thanks for hosting-- Joy

• Michelle Reynolds
    18 years ago

hello
    I got my seed today and they are great. thank you for hosting.
    michelle

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Beth,
    My seeds arrived today!

Thanks!

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

I got my seeds today and thanks for the great variety! But Beth, you also sent me back my stamps! Will you be home to get them if I send them back?

• dancingmoons
    18 years ago

Hi Beth!!
    got my seeds today!! Yippie! such a treat!! And such great seeds :) I started my Bushel gourds today (inside) also !
    Thanks for hosting this swap it was a great one!!..
    Trish

• kellyinflorida
    18 years ago

Hi Beth,
    I got my seeds yesterday, Thank you for hosting!

Kelly

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh MY Gosh, KELLY, what a big Gator. Guess I better quit complaining about the squirrels, rabbits , deer and mosquitoes that are hanging out in my new garden.
    Carol I still have your pack of seeds. I forgot to give them to you. Thanks for everything it was s great visit. So nice to visit with you and Pooch and Greg.
    I'm at the library and limited to one hour so I'm just being brief.

• threeshyacres
    18 years ago

Hi Beth,
    I received my seeds a few days back. What great variety! Thanks so much for hosting this swap...and thanks to everyone for sharing!
    Happy Spring,
    Jodi
    'ThreeShyAcres'
    : )

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Hi Beth, I received my seeds today, great variety. thankyou for another great swap.
    thankyou hugs carol

• mooncr8zy
    16 years ago

i WOULD LOVE TO BE IN ON THIS ALSO, PLEASE SEND E AN ADDRESS ALONG WITH INSTRUCTIONS OR RULES.... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

JINA

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Jina...be careful of the dates..this is a thread from 2006.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I was a lil confused, didn't remember sending seeds in next week. Beth how is this swap going? hugs carol