SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

Suggestions for fine-gauge netting to cover tomatoes?

tuesdayschild
17 years ago

Hi all,

I'm not doing well with psyllid control on my tomatoes -- virtually all of my current plants are affected and no matter how much squishing and spraying (pyrethrin/ Safer spray) I do, they still manage to poison the plants and I've got all the characteristic purpling/yellowing, etc. The problem is they're really really hard to spot and by the time I see the telltale "sugar grains", they've already done that toxic saliva thing into the plant.

My next round of planting will be in 3 weeks --All of the tomatoes are in large pots with 4' tall bamboo support structures--and I'd like to try covering these next guys in a fine-mesh netting to see if I can keep the little nasties out that way. I'm sorry I didn't do it with the first round -- I'd intended to, but just got too excited and planted before finding netting and I don't know anything about the different kinds of netting.

Can anyone suggest a name and a source for the right kind of fabric/netting that will have a mesh fine enough to keep out little, tiny bugs? Is there one? I've found a couple of products (Gardeneer Harvest-Guard, etc.) but none of them indicate how fine the mesh is in these and two of the catalogs showed pictures of unhappily excluded beetles and caterpillars, but I need something a lot finer grained than beetle-sized. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals