SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

To all haters of hornworms...read this

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

My garden was a magical place last night. As you can probably figure out- I consider myself to be the garden pest exterminator of all exterminators.....and take pride in eradicating the various pests that would do harm to my garden. I had something happen last night that has left me absolutely speechless.....It's one of those experiences where when it's over with, you have to wonder - did this just happen? I went out with a flashlight last night at about 10:30, and checked on the garden, of course....And found the usual boring bugs....squash bugs, stinkbugs, etc. - I also killed a black widow by my cantaloupes. But, as I was getting ready to walk away - I noticed a very LARGE flying thing hovering over my tomato plant section. It was the size of a small bird. Because of it's size, I actually felt very uncomfortable being that near to it. When I shined my flashlight on it, it's eyes glowed very distinctly, and for a moment - I had to ask myself...Is this really happening? It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed, and kinda looked like a fairy. I think that I actually got to experience something that very few people ever get to see. It was hovering in front of my tomato plants, and gingerly taking it's tail in a curved, kinda underhanded motion - and touching the bottom of the leaves with it. After doing this to about 3 leaves, it flew away into the night. I felt like telling it "come back". I felt truly blessed, that of all of the gardens it could have came to at that moment - it chose mine. Anyway, I went out this morning to inspect the leaves in the area it was doing it's thing at, because I suspected it was depositing it's eggs. And there it was.....a small light green, almost transparent egg - that I had seen tons of, in the month of June. The flying thing I saw last night was the adult form of the tomato hornworm, or tobacco hornworm...one of the 2. It was an unbelievable experience......Ok, now I need to go and do something very manly, like skin a hog or something....that'll get this weird, happy feeling out my body...blech!

EG

Comments (18)

Sponsored