SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fulton_gw

cattail reeds

fulton
14 years ago

Awhile back a post mentioned Auburn university saying the ideal NPK for tomatoes would be 9-3-17(or 3-1-6 for slower results). Several others whose opinion I respect agreed.

Mojavebob was kind enough to send me a list of NPK values

for some common items. Cattail reeds caught my eye. It's NPK is 2-.8-3.4, common around here, and the Wisconsin DNR

said I could collect a small amount without getting a permit.

Let me say upfront I realize this would be labor intensive and not applicable on any large scale.

I am, however, a very curious person and try to run as many gardening experiments as I can in any given year. So then,

what would be best way to utilize the reeds? Should I put them in my garden blender with water and make a liquid fertilzer, perhaps a full benderful per feeding once a month? Or should I use them as a mulch or does that not work that way? If mulching would work in delivering the nutrients what would be the ideal size, whole, tiny

( through the garden food processor), or something in between. If I were to dry them(perhaps with the idea of adding it to the soil next spring while planting the tomatoes( would the same NPK be retained? Thanks.

Larry

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz