SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joedacook

What's wrong with my Rutgers Ramapo tomato plants?

joedacook
11 years ago

I bought some Ramapo Tomatoes at the Rutgers Day Fair in New Brunswick, 4 plants, and planted them on the 10th or so of May. Then I bought some from the Belle Mead Co-op again 4 plants and I planted two of them in the same garden area as the ones from Rutgers, the other two I took to my girlfriend's Dad's house for him to plant. The problem is they are all not doing well and growing very strange, they look like a plant from an alien world, My girl's Dad's too. I have never seen anything like this and was told maybe you could help. I think I have ruled out soil problems because I planted one Big Boy plant as a control that I got at Wal-Mart and it seems to be doing fine in the same location. I originally thought the soil was contaminated with weed killer 'cause I used some in late March to get rid of some creeping Charlie, I used Round-up and Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max, but the soil has well over a month to be rid of any residual chemicals that might have been left. I also amended the soil with some composted cow manure. I have posted pics of my plants (see attachments). I also called Rutgers to see if perhaps they were having issues with this years batch of Ramapos, but the young fellow I spoke with said maybe I have spider mites or aphids, I really don't think this is the problem. The stems of the plants seem normal thickness, however the new branches and leaves are not growing normally, they are all deformed looking, spindly and thin, fern like almost. I did get some insecticidal soap and seven and used them both to no avail. Any advice or input we be muchly appreciated. thanks in advance for your help. Regards

Comment (1)