SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

current progress/failures for 2008 garden

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

As most of you know, this is my first year with sfg, and I built a brand new box with trellises. Well, needless to say - I've learned alot. I already know of several changes that will go into action for next spring's planting.They are as follows:

1. Yellow squash will definitely be trellised (I have a baby squash sticking out of my removable fencing.)YRDLING - you had a reason to be concerned about this happening - when you saw the construction pictures of my removable fencing. I'm gonna be forced to tie my squash plants to my vertical 4x4 posts. I personally like the setup that SNIBB has for growing squash upward, but because of the way my bed is constructed, it's not an option for me. I'm really thinking about the upside-down tomato cages for the squash next year (thanks to KRISTIMAMA).

2. I will definitely plant around May 1st, not 3 weeks later- like this year. I just now, have cucumbers, squash, and peppers ready to harvest. Waiting on the watermelons, okra, tomatoes, corn and cantelopes is really pushing the time limit - before my fall crop is to be planted.

3. I think I planted too many peppers and okra. 12 pepper plants have me wondering what i'm gonna do with all of them, when they start coming in. The only thing we use them for is to make pepper sauce - which is probably just a southern term, that indicates cayenne peppers stuffed in a jar full of vinegar (to be poured on top of fried potatoes, pinto beans, and cornbread)YUM!

4. I planted cantelopes on both sides of a trellis, and after seeing the vines run - have decided that one side will probably produce enough for my family. This will free up one side for planting pole beans. Ah, yes - the failure of the current pole beans. That is the next topic of discussion.

5. Pole beans were planted in containers, and have all died. They were doing quite well in the containers, and one day (while I was fertilizing the corn), I decided to put some fert in the containers also. Wrong thing to do.....they burned up, and now - are only crispy brown leaves. I've never grown beans before, but certainly learn quickly from my mistakes.

6. I'm gonna have to investigate the bottom of my bed on the lower end, to see why it isn't draining as well as the other end. After discussing the problem with FARMERDILLA and WIERDTREV, I think there is a "ponding" effect happening in that particular location, causing the zucchini to sit in water when it rains alot - which is making the leaves wilt and die.

Other than those problems, the garden is actually doing quite well. I've been able to hand pick most pests, the blooms are getting pollinated by the bees, and i'm about to be literally covered up with produce. Thanks for listening to me ramble, and I will continue read what each and every one of you have to say - as you all are the reason that my garden is successful. Thanks, EG

Comments (12)

Sponsored