SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justinandlaura1_gw

Help decide what to plant to give us veggies all season

justinandlaura1
14 years ago

Hi All,

I found the SFG and got instantly hooked. I just finished building a 10' x 4' planter bed and will be going to find the stuff to try to make mels mix today. I have no gardening experience, but i am dying to grow my own veggies. I cant stand buying the tasteless poison filled veggies from the store. I was hoping with 40 squares I would be able to have enough variety that my garden would be able to provide veggies throughout the entire season (not sure what that season is...I'm in santa clarita, 30 miles north of Los Angeles). I am hoping to avoid having everything ready to harvest at once...then end up with 50 tomatoes at once that all go bad, but rather pick varieties that will be ready at different times, so we can stagger the harvest throughout the season.

Also, I was wondering if there is a list of "beginner plants" that I should start with to increase my odds of having a successful year. Not sure if planting in mid-june has any bearing also.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Not sure how much food we will get from 40 sqft, but hopefully we can start weening ourselves off of big chain grocery veggies one day.

Thanks again.

-JD

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery