SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

New to SF gardening, need some tips

rjinga
15 years ago

I have three 4x8 beds made with 2x10's And three that are 2x2 (for squash, melons etc)

the smaller boxes are positioned in a way that they will have lots of room to spread out.

I picked up a 1/2 ton of 3 year old compost today from the city compost place filled the back of a small truck just to the top for $20 (they say it does not contain any manure, just broken down leaves, trees, food waste etc. and it is black and beautiful...

I'm going to take photos of the 2 different composted materials I have tomorrow and post them.

Underneath the boxes I have some good ole fertile GA red clay soil that has great potential to be very good after the existing layers break down, I first covered it cardboard and then leaves and then topped off with the compost with manure.

I filled one of the small boxes tonight. Inside the box, I have laid down more cardboard (one layer) and then mixed the 2 composted materials and added perlite.

Is there anything that I'm missing?

I'll be honest, I'm a bit reluctant to plant directly into this compost...although someone at a nearby nursery told me that he uses it too and plants directly into it.

I'll welcome any advice, suggestions, tips etc.

For what it's worth, I intend to plant the following in the larger boxes: green peppers, eggplant, okra, onions, beets, carrots, kohl rabi, swiss chard, basil, parsley, dill, maybe some tomatoes (I have 60 others growing in normal beds) cucumber,

and the smaller boxes are for cantelope, watermelon, squash (zuchinni) I also have 3 20+ gallon tubs that I'll use for more of the trailing stuff, and I have 3 1/2 whiskey barrels that I can use as well.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County