SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Phase one is in progress. . .

sahoyaref
19 years ago

Well, the lab has begun its first experiment! I went out to the forest today to collect some materials for my first temperate terr. Got various mosses and some creeping vine that looks a bit like creeping jenny. I will also get a juniper cutting from my parents and root it and stick it in the terr. It's very small, but it'll have to do! This will be the terr. that I leave outside year round. Yes, I will be leaving it on my balcony this winter to see if the plant life in it survives! Of course I will protect is as best as I can, but it can get down to -35 here (and that's degrees Celsius!), so it should be interesting. It would also be cool if someone in a warmer zone could test the same thing. Since the plants come from the forest, they are obviously hardy here, but I don't know if they are hardy to zone 2 or any further. I think so, since I've seen the creeper growing in the mountains, so I guess the juniper will be the real test. I'll post a pic in the gallery when I can. I will also be making another small terraium with identical plants which I will grow indoors and then give a three-four month dormancy in the fridge to see if that works. And because the juniper will be so small, I guess it will also be a bit of a test to see if bonsai can be kept in terrariums in this way.

My only real worry is that the temperate plants will die indoors, and that the soil will be too moist still during the dormancy and everything will rot. I'm not sure how dry it should be. Does anyone know? Because my garden outside isn't exactly bone dry when the snow comes and everything dies down. But once I tried to force some hyacinths in the fridge, and they just rotted, and I suspect it was because the soil was too moist and the pot was wrapped in a plastic bag. So do I keep the top open while in the fridge or not? Moist soil or not? Perhaps I need to test each individually. . . that would take up a lot of room in the fridge though. . .

Comments (24)