SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluejean_gw

Neighbors- OT (kinda long)

bluejean
18 years ago

My husband and I bought our home last fall. It was a foreclosure that sat empty for 2 years. It is on a dead end road with only 9 other houses on the street. This winter I noticed the family living across the street moved out suddenly and without warning. I have since learned that they also lost their home to foreclosure. (the wife was terminally ill and the family couldn't make ends meet while paying for medical bills). You can tell they moved out quickly because they left "things" including a small riding mower. Well, after sitting empty all winter, I recently noticed some neighbors from the end of the street walking away from the empty house with "stuff" in their arms. My husband and I laughed and didn't think much of it. Then, the next day we saw them walking to the empty house with a small wagon in tow. They proceeded to dig out all the plants in the flower beds. That night the mower mysteriously disappeared. I noticed it in the back yard of the looters. I have since then seen them go back over for more flowers and shrubs several times.

As we have now been working in our own yard and getting the flower beds ready for Spring planting, my husband has pointed out several holes where you can clearly tell that shrubs/ small trees were once planted. Obviously someone must have helped themselves when our house was empty.

I am really concerned because someone owns that stuff. Either the family that lived there or their mortgage company. What should we do? Last time I heard, looting was illegal- but I don't want to start a war with these people as we are the "new kids on the block". And I definately do not want them to retaliate by helping themselves to anything from our yard/house. Any suggestions? Please help!

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored