SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katxena

My Square Foot Garden 'Tiny Farm'

Katxena
15 years ago

As a joke, my husband and I have started calling my garden "Tiny Farm." I've spent the last few weeks putting it all together and filling it with dirt. I haven't used Mel's Mix, which I know will result in more weeds -- and I'm ok with that.

I have two 3x6 foot beds, filled about 10 inches deep with a mix of compost/vermiculite/peat/soil (the soil is from my cousin's garden). Here's a small picture -- there's not much to see yet:

Here's my Spring planting plan:

Click
. The beds are about 10 feet apart -- they are shown next to each other to conserve space.

The gray area is the space I'm reserving for the squash. I'll plant small quick things around it until it gets big. I'm planning on giving each tomato plant (they are all indeterminate) 1.5 x 1 square foot.

The tomatoes will be in cages, and I'll prune the suckers.

The squash will also be in a cage.

The New Zealand spinach and bush beans will be contained with those cheap white fence lengths you can get for $1 at garden centers (and ruthless pruning, in the case of the NZ spinach).

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for improving my plan?

I have a couple of questions:

1) Do the marigolds have to be in the middle row to protect the tomatoes from pests? Can I put them in the front row?

2) I'd really like to squeeze another pepper plant in here. There's an empty space in the Northeast bed -- will a pepper plant there be too tall?

3) Will the squash (it's a summer lemon squash, which is a bush style squash) really take up that much room?

4) You can see that I have beets, kohlrabi and carrots in both beds. I thought it would be prettier this way. What do you think?

Although I've done container gardening before, this is my first in-the-ground garden; any help is appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored