SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfourer

Warty Newt

18 years ago

I got a little newt that is similar to a firebelly newt. Doing really well. Very easy to take care of. Lives mostly in water but walks around the terrarium from time to time. The water is a shallow pool 23cm/9inch in diameter and 3-4cm deep. Have water plants in it from aquarium store.

Newt eats just about any fresh food and always takes food under water. Anything from a fish market, sliced into small thin strips. Slow or squashed insects. What he really likes best are live earthworms from my garden, which I am able to dig up in winter on a warm day. I went away for a month and fattened him/her up before I left. Was very healthy when I got home. The terrarium lights were on a timer and a friend watered the plants.

I am advised to change the water in the pool, as the newt relieves himself in that water and over time it might build up toxins. I only add rainwater or distilled water. Always leave some old water and dirt on the bottom so bacteria get started quickly in the new water. A really clean bowl lacks ammonia-converting bacteria.

Because the newt is a slow animal, he does not break plants and make a mess of the terrarium.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269323}}

Comments (4)

• 18 years ago

looks good! I do the same with the water in my tomato frog's tank. I leave a small amount of water in the bottom of the bowl when I change the water out. There is a nice algae build up growing on the bottom of the bowl. I wouldn't change it as often as I do, but there is sometimes poop in there, so I have to change it out then. Do you have a full tank shot? I'd like to see it.

• 18 years ago

{{gwi:1269349}}
    {{gwi:1269350}}
    {{gwi:1269351}}
    {{gwi:1269352}}
    {{gwi:1269353}}

As to changing the water, I don't know how often. All things eventually decompose and recycle. Plants take up stuff like nitrate, ammonia, sulphur compounds, anything that is a nutrient for plants. I read that the newt may leave the water if the condition is bad, giving me some clue. I can't actually see any evidence that the newt is benefiting from changing the water. I've settled on every two weeks, and don't feed the animal excessively. How much to feed is another good question. I can only go by if the newt is fat or thin or looks "just right". I think they might actually live longer if not fed more than they need.

Some interesting facts about newts. They can live 25 years in captivity. They can grow a new leg if they lose one.

Some good links:
    http://www.caudata.org/cc/index.shtml
    http://www.livingunderworld.org/

What is a tomato frog? I'd like to get another pet, real small. Maybe a small gecko or other lizard, or a small tree frog or a small land salamander. Nothing expensive, just common species.

• 18 years ago

Looks good! Nice looking plants.

A tomato frog is big and round like a tomato. They get as big as your fist. Mine are not that big yet, but the male has started calling, so they are maturing. I hope to put them into a dry season this summer, and then when the wet season starts back maybe they will lay eggs.

• 18 years ago

dfourer,

Your plants look great.

Back2eight,

Pretty cool frogs