SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myohhmy

new: quilters flower pannel swap? flower freindship quilt

myohhmy
17 years ago

I was just wondering if there were any more quilters out there who would be intested in making a flower quilt?

We could exchange flower quilt blocks once a month or once ever 3 months since they take a while to make.

I seen a beautiful design with 12 different flowers on it and boy would I love to have quilt like that. I think it would be fun project. Would anyone like to join me?

I will try to post picture if theres any interst.

Its ok if your not an expert sewer. Its a lot easier to make the same pannel afew times then it is to make 12 different pannels.

Comments (31)

• zabecc
    17 years ago

I'd love to see a picture of the quilt!

• tracy77
    17 years ago

I am not an expert sewer but this sounds like something I would like to try. I will make a trip to the library to learn more about quilting.

Tracy

• Related Discussions

NEW: Seed N Stitches Swap for February

Q

Comments (64)
    Got Cindy's gorgeous block today and Malva Zebrina seeds. It is so detailed and like 99% done by hand stitching! A yellow butterfly background with a blue-bird hidden in the grass and purple flowers and pink tulips (my favorite flower color) reaching upwards with a blue dragon fly flying above the tips of the blooms. Wow! Your and inspiration Cindy - one day I hope to be able to do that detailed type of applique! Wow! It will go on my Grandma's quilt that I am starting. Hopefully I will have it finished by end of 2012. :-) She is going to love this quilt with all the beautiful garden-themed blocks that everyone is making. Best to you and many, many thanks, Sandra
    ...See More

new! seeda and stitches april quilt block squares

Q

Comments (67)
    Blocks are on the way. The post lady said 3-4 day. So be watching. Linda won the game block. Because we did not finish the game I put one slip of paper for each try, shook the bag and Linda was the winner. The block was called Shadow of the Swallow. I don't know how to post pictures on this forum so if anyone would like to post yours when you get them that would be nice. Thank You if anyone does it. Many thanks to all who started this trade and to those who finished. Please post when you get you blocks. Thanks to all. gmom
    ...See More

NEW: Christmas Stocking Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Sorry for so few letters tonight. From around 6 to 11:00, I couldn't get online long enough to post much.(Must be the weather or something!!) To make up for it here's 2 #s !!!!! S 14 & N 42. Dan~stay seated!!!! Stockings in route to GA *Bunny-arrived *Scarlett *Michelle-mailed *Toni *Robin *Jodi B *Sue *Maryann *Linda *Joyce *Kamiljablo *Chere-mailed *Rhonda *La Donna *Dan-mailed *Kat *Megan *Joan *Crystal-mailed *Shannon *Kathy later...April
    ...See More

new: obf december swap - kiss

Q

Comments (126)
    I received a great box from Heidi. She made two adorable angel ornaments that are now on my tree. She also included a mix of candy and several packages of seeds. These all came inside a cute holiday box. Heidi also made a card with a poem she wrote inside. I want to share it with everyone. She is a very clever writer. It read Winter Soltice Twas the night before Winter solstice and all through the garden The air was quite cold, the ground starting to harden I had just sat down to a nice cup of tea To look through the seeds I had gotten for free When out on the lawn, there arouse such a clatter I jumped from my chair to see what was the matter The snowflakes were fallin' the wind was a blowin' "My winter sowing containers!!" down the street they were goin I threw on my boots, took off at a run I could already see this was not gonna be fun I collected the containers and tied them up tight So much for seed sorting on this crazy night I put on my PJ's and snuggled to bed While visions of winter sown flowers danced in my head I swear I heard my husband snore as I drifted off to sleep "Happy Winter solstice to all, and don't plant your seeds too deep" Thank you Heidi, I really enjoyed my box and it did bring a smile to my face. Margo
    ...See More
  • Melinda Hagen
    17 years ago

I might be interested in something like this also. I'll see what the details are and decide. I love quilting and flowers, so can't be all bad! LOL! Melinda
    I too would like to see a picture. Is it mostly appliqued flowers on it?

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is perfect site - this site even gives directions AND patterns!

http://quiltingpassion.com/QPU/appflower/index.html

I will do the iris block, I have been wanting to try that one anyway. That's my favoire flower.

Try going to this link to see a photo for block ideas

http://softexpressions.com/software/books/FlwrQltBlks.php

Wow, I really think its beautiful. It would take me forever to learn 12 flowers, but I could handle learning to do 3 or less. I might even get good at them after I do them enough times to share with the group!

I think it would be a really pretty quilt, alhtough the one I saw was a bit different.

If we had 3 people interested we would each have to do 4 type of flowers three times each.

6 people 2 flowers 6 times each.
    12 people we would only need to one flower but do it 12 times

so what do you guys think? Is it do able?

• Koppasetic
    17 years ago

This sounds like a lot of fun! Can you give more details about how it will work?
    I could probably handle 2 different blocks in the 3 month timeframe.

Thanks

Koppasetic

• Melinda Hagen
    17 years ago

I checked out the pics and those look like fairly easy appliques. I am still very interested. Can we do machine applique or hand or however we want them? That's part of the fun of doing them as each person will get something different. I think it would be a lovely quilt. Maybe this will bump back to the top and get more interested! PLMK when and what you decide to do with this! Thanks,Melinda

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think you could do them however you want to do them. I too think that would be the beauty of it. They just all need to be the same size blocks. Instead of the middle picture being larger, all the quilt blocks would be the same size. Unless someone wants to volunteer to do the larger block?

Sign up with which flower you would like to do. I will start on the iris this weekend. Did we all want to use white for the background? So the background colors do not all clash? That's how it looks like they did it for the link.

Looks like we have 3 people intersted so far. Maybe we can just get started and if anyone wants to join in they would be welcome to.

If anyone wants me to post a photo for them just email it to me and that might generate more interst too once they see our flowers in enternal bloom.

Also do we each want to put the boarder on the blocks in a specific color (they did it in green on the link) Or do you want to just receive the white flower block so you can make all your own matching boarders?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to give oppions.

I don't know how the timeframe would work until we know how many people will be involved.

thanks for your interest...

• pajohnso
    17 years ago

I would be interested in doing this. The quilt is lovely and I would love to have one. I would like to at least to the morning glory if nobody else is doing it, and maybe the tulip. Let me know if anyone else is doing those ones. I am going on vacation soon and it would be nice to have something to work on while I am sitting on the beach ; )

I like very colorful things so I would even say that everyone can border the blocks in a nice bright color, like maybe stick to pinks, greens, blues, yellows, whites and such that would be found in the garden, just a thought. Might make more of a crazy quilt which I just love the idea of.

Anyway, let me know what you think and if those flowers are okay to start with. Thanks!! This will be fun.

Paula

• tracy77
    17 years ago

I don't think I can do it.

Tracy

• amazingcm
    17 years ago

Now you got me over here from the quilt forum. Just what I need another project.. I like the dogwood. and I like it the size it is... So if you get enough interest I will be willing to do it. As I am from Missouri and that is our state tree.. HAHA... Let me know more information
    you can email me through my page.. I guess I do have a question is satin stitch applique alright? grace

• amazingcm
    17 years ago

One thing I thought of you need to deside if the background color will be white white on white, off white or white on off white... And are we to make a border on it or leave it for the new owner to do that? grace

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Help me out ladies..... What do you think. I am not a dictatorship and many of you are more expereinced than I. I only have 5 quilts under my belt and 2 were wall hangings!

I have to go and measure a bed... I'm not sure And check a sewing book as I am not sure of sizes of beadspreads. lol

8 x 8 would be 36 inches wide and 48 inches tall. Good throw blanket size I think

12 x 12 pannels plus 2 inches on each side would be would be 48 wide and 64 tall I think that would be better larger sized but still not single or double sized.

When I went to google sizes for quilts sizes I found a gardenweb forum for quilting! small world huh? did not even know that existed here. So I made a post there and hopefully we will get more interest now that I posted it in the right spot!

We welcome any joiners and any type of flower and any type of quilting style for your blocks.

I think they could each be individually lined 2 inches on each side and then if each member wants to make the blanket more uniform they can go back and put an addtional 3 inch strip around all the blocks and that would make it a bigger more bedspread size. let's see if I can do my math...

12 x 12 48 wide and 64 with 3 inch additional boarders brings us to 60 wide and 79 tall more beadspread size I would image. will go google for exact sizes for comforts I found are as follows.. first set of numbers are for comforter size second is for bedspread size (longer sides)

twin 81 x 110 69 x 90
    full 96 x 110 84 x 90
    queen 102 x 120 90 x 95
    king 120 x 120 106 x 95

106 x 112" - Ca King bed

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok so far we have

Myohhmy - iris
    pajohnso - tulip and morning glory
    amazingcm - dogwood flower

Thanks please post which flower or flowers you would be intersted in doing. They do not need to be from the site listed they can be ANY flower you want to do!

I am thinking 12 inch by 12 inch with 2 inch boarder around all sides in a co ordinating color to the flower made. Vibrant colors were suggested. primary colors would work well

If anyone wants to have more pannels for larger size quilts we could probably do that as well.

I think I emailed everyone who replied and let everyone know its a go! I can't wait.. I really think it will be a fun project. Time for me to go start sewing or at least getting my materials to gether!

thanks for your interst.

• Koppasetic
    17 years ago

I will do a sunflower but I must warn you this is only my second attempt at aplique. ;)

Can you tell us more about how the swap itself works? Do we send all the blocks to you and then you dispurse them or do we send one (or however many) to each participant? Also how soon would we need to have all the blocks done?

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Koppasetic

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ahh haaa. Got my protype done...

Here is my iris

Made the white block 14 x 14 to allow for one inch seam allowences. Used only a 2 inch strip for surrounding the block since I already had them cut up from a different project. The actual pannel DID turn out to be appox 16 x 16 inches though as I had hoped for.

I zig zagged around all edges with white thread. I tried to use non running material for the block. It turned out ok as long as you don't look too close. the further the better. That close up does look alittle scary. One thing you can't tell from photo is I tried to stuff the peatles to give it a 3d look.

The pannel it was fast once I got the pattern down. that is what took the longest. Next time I will use some different materials and maybe tweak it a bit.

If anyone gets a pannel done and wants me to post it for them just email me your photos, I'd be happy to upload them and post them for you if you don't know how.

By the way I just ordered the book, Hands All Around: Making Cooperative Quilts By: Judy Robbins Gretchen Thomas to maybe help us out on how to make this co operative quilt.

Let us know if you are intersted in joining us!

• Melinda Hagen
    17 years ago

OK, I am ready to do I guess! I am willing to do the crocus and the windflower. How many of each do I do and where do we send. One to each person once a month or every 2 months or what? Each block needs to be 14 1/2 inches x 14 1/2 inches to make a 14x14 block correct? Then we need to add a 2 1/4 inch border all the way around of any coordinating color we want to make a 2 inch border. Then we will have a 16 x 16 Is this right? Are we using white, offwhite, etc. Or does it matter as long as each one of us uses a form of white. PLMK. Melinda

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Let's see if I can get all the questions answered...

Yes everyone uses white for background.

Yes, you can do it anyway you want to! I am very intersted in seeing how each person goes about it. Whatever is easiest and most comfortable for you.

Yes, everyone's block should be 14 x 14 finished... start with 14 x 14 and leave 1 inche for seams. add 2 inch wide strips to sides and it should equal out to 14 x 14 when finished. of course some will be off alittle that part of the quilting fun making everything fit.

Yes you can use whatever color you wish for boarder, please try to keep primary colors vivid colors per request. Unless everyone wants to come up with a color theme quick before everyone gets started... there seems to be alot of yellows and purples for sure so far. Maybe everyone can post what color their flowers will be...

I don't really know how quick it will go. First we need to find out how many people will be making blocks. Everyone will need to make 12 blocks. Would 4 pannels per month (or one a week) be ok with everyone? Would then take 3 months to complete the quilt...

Each month we would send out our two pannels to two people and should also receive 4 pannels. That will take some co- ordating on my part of who sends to who when so bear with me here.

I would really prefer THE FIRST TWO SETS we can send out 2 pannels every 2 weeks to make sure everone is participating and to keep things honest. Then after the trust is built we can send 2 people 2 pannels (4 total) once a month for the other two months.

So lets say first mailing of 2 pannels goes out April 1. Would that give everyone enough time to do two of the same pannel to mail out to two different people? One pannel would probably cost .63 to mail. Everyone start emailing me their addresses so I can get all the legistics straighten out.

While I'm dong that we still need to find out how many people are joining and how many types of pannels each of us will make. Hoping for 6 people each making 2 different pannels that would be easiest. But if you want to make one pannel 12 times that's possible too, we will just need more joiners or someone else to make 3 which I am willing to do if needed.

So far here is what we have and the colors...

Myohhmy - purple iris and purple coneflower

amazingcm - dogwood flower (*****Are you doing this in double pannel as shown on link??)

Ilovefarac - the crocus and the windflower

koppesic - sunflower guessing yellow? (did you want to only make one pannel?)

Also, I guess there really is no need for backing as it would just add to shipping costs and we can just add our own when finishing the quilt.

Any more questions? thank you to everyone for joining! I am really excitied about it!

• crafteedee
    17 years ago

I'd be willing to do the Windflower. Do we send them to you? Or will we be sending them individually?

Can I suggest that we leave off the border so we can trim our blocks to the finished size that we want? The sample shows them as rectangles, probably to trim off the excess white space on the sides. I like having that option.

Also, are we going to sign our blocks?

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a link to a really elegant quilt... wow gives more flower examples. Sorry wildflower/windflower is already taken but here a bunch more to chose from.

LOVE LOVE Love the rose here, and the lilly of valley, and the poinsetta.

http://www.jeanneraecrafts.com/bb/birthmain.html

I love the idea of signing the blocks.. how would we do that? With fabric pen, does someone have embroydery machine that can put names on them? (wish I could afford a machine like that!) or handstich name?

Everyone pipe up and let us know your thoughts on some of these topics.. please help me out here.

I like the idea of boarders on the pannels, but since it would be easier without, I am sure you and anyone who does not want them can just request them to be left off. I see no problem with that.

8 flowers picked so far, I think we will let afew extras be made incase anyone drops out or can not do all the pannels. Or if there's more people like me who need a bigger sized quilt...

Everyone please email me your mailing address, the type of flower(s) you plan to make, the colors you plan on using and how many panels you would like for your quilt.

I am starting an excell spreadsheet to keep track of who sends who what...

• amazingcm
    17 years ago

I am sorry but after looking at all my projects for the next several months I am going to have to change my mind.. Sorry... grace

• Koppasetic
    17 years ago

I will still do the sunflower in orange tones but I'm not sure I can get these first 2 out by April 1st. Once I can get to town and get the fabric I will have no problem getting the blocks out quickly. I'd like to stick with just the sunflower block for now if that's alright with everyone.

Thanks

Koppasetic

• Melinda Hagen
    17 years ago

I was just wondering if we might have more people and able to do more if we left the borders off. Everyone just send the white blocks with the flower applique.Then each person can do there own borders later when they put the blocks together. They can do them all the same or different to their own taste. And with it being spring and so many other things to do outside, maybe not so soon to send. Just my idea. But I will be happy to do it either way. Just let me know how many, when to be done, do I do both right now, or just one, etc? Thanks, Melinda

• pajohnso
    17 years ago

I am okay with whatever the majority wants. I think there are good cases for both having the borders on vs. leaving them off. My fear is I will get these beautiful unbordered blocks then I will get too lazy to sew the borders on and I will never get it done, vs the borders are all already on and all I have to do is sew them all together....I have this wonderful quilt my grandmother made from all sorts of scraps and things, and you know nonething really matches, but that is the homemade, heartwarming part that makes me love that quilt.

Just my thoughts ; )

The morning glories will be blue/perwinkle/mauves and the tulips will be in the pink/red family with contrasting borders should we decide to go that way.

I am going on vacation the week of April 7th, so I will be bringing the stuff with me to do while I sit on the beach ; ) So my stuff will go out to everyone when I get back if that is okay.

Sorry this is so long ; ) Let me know!!!

Paula

• Melinda Hagen
    17 years ago

Hello! No problem with putting borders on, either. Just thought some might not want to. Wouldn't be hard to do at all. Easiest part of the whole thing! I just need to know how many, when to be done, etc. I am not getting started until know how many and when. Also how often we need to do however many blocks, etc. This will make a big difference to me as so many other things going on in the spring with planting gardens, cleaning yards, getting flowers moved, etc. Thanks, Melinda

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If we want this to take 3 months or if we prefer to do it slow and steady 6 months....

3 months - Each month we would send out our two pannels to two people and should also receive 4 pannels. That is only one pannel per week!

6 months - Each month we would send out our two pannels to two people and should also receive 2 pannels. This would be one pannel every two weeks.

Everyone start emailing me their mailing addresses and if they perfer 3 month plan or 6 month plan. Majority can decide. Just let me know so I can get all the legistics straighten out of who is sending to who when.

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

still looking for members...

We are starting, but this will be an on going event until we get the quilt done. Feel free to join us anytime!

if you have not voted for 2 or 4 squares per month, please post...

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received the first pannel in the mail this week! It was a beautiful pansy! Great job irishmomma... I will post photo later this weekend.

We are looking to do 2 per month it looks like. I know people are busy because its spring. THANK Goodness it is spring!

If anyone else is intersted in joinng us just drop me an email. thanks

• pajohnso
    17 years ago

I picked out my fabric and started cutting it this weekend. I bought some nice, very white, fabric and prewashed it, but didn't think about what I washed it with....so its now a lovely shade of pink! I will have to go buy some more white. Anyway, I am making progress ; )

So are we sending all of our squares to you and you will distribute or do we send them to each other? Thanks!!

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi, you would send directly to who is to receive it. I am still waiting on addresses. I did receive one so far so that is who you would mail it to.

Let me know when you are ready to send and how many you have to send.

thanks!

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Here is the pansy flower block from irishgrandma! Beautiful...

Myohhmy - purple iris and purple coneflower

Ilovefarac - the crocus and the windflower

crafteedee - maybe?

koppesic - sunflower

irishgranma - Pansy

We have 8 taken so far. I am going to start a new thread pretty soon to see if I can get afew more people intersted.

PLEASE email me with your mailing address, and if you prefer boarders or no boarders. I am emailing everyone more infomration, check your spam folders or email me if you do not receive it! thanks

myohhmy@comcast.net

• myohhmy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guess we are taking this slow and steady. When someone gets a pannel done, email me and I will send you an address to send it to.

Since the summer is so busy, this will be an on going thing. no timelines or deadlines.

will post when I get more photos.

I am also have a couple people from local garden groups in my area that have shown some interst in this...