SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
producemench

planning for spring in capitan, nm

producemench
16 years ago

my last garden was a disaster here in capitan. between grasshoppers, dogs and idiot "landscapers" all I grew were a handful of lentils. I visited a VERY nice garden in Datil, NM that did very well with squash and beans and I want to grow some simple yellow squash and maybe a few winter squash to get a start. Trouble is I have never had an outdoor garden. I have grown indoors with bins and flourescent lights with surprising results for a novice (mid winter radish, garbanzo, yam, black beans and anasazi sprouts), but everything I've done outside has been completely wrong except for the lentils which I simply ignored. Is there an experienced, short season, high & Dry, late frost gardner who can tell me how to get started? I have three months (from May) to make fruit here and bugs galore, virtually no bees (q-tips), clay soil and tons of tiny rocks (driveway garbage). everybody says the soil here is no good but I look around and see all kinds of stuff growing in it (foxtail barley, lovegrass, dandelions). I found real barley by the side of the road in Ruidoso a few years ago. it seems like the simple veggies should work here. Maybe for me the best thing would be to mix soil in pots? What do you think?

I have seeds for banana squash, acorn squash, all kinds of beans and peas, and the mighty lentil among other more difficult options. something that would actually make a meal would be a nice success.

I'd also like to know what indoor growers have done with vegetables in the winter time.

Thanks for any input.

I'm in central NM @ 6000+ feet, north of Ruidoso by the capitan mountains. arborday.org hardiness zone: 6-7 mostly 7.

Comments (3)

Sponsored