SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thinkstoomuch

Protective wire cage/cover

thinkstoomuch
14 years ago

Hi All,

I'm taking the plunge into SFG this year. I have my beds assembled and in place. I've got all my ingredients. I've got various veggies growing indoors. I plan on filling the beds with the mix this weekend.

Thinking ahead to when I transplant things into the beds, I'd like to build wire cage covers as Mel discusses in his book. Instead of doing one huge one for the entire box, I'd like to do many smaller ones customized to the size of the plants. For instance, I have four squares planned for lettuce. I'd like to make one cover for that. I have four squares for pak choy. I'd like to make one for that. It seems logically beneficial to me to do this as opposed to one big cage, especially considering that I have a bad back. If I'm off base - please shed some light for me!

So, my main question is about zuchini. I have selected two different kinds, both of which are bush type. I am allocting a 3ft x 3ft section for each kind, one plant in each. Do you think zuchini needs a cage cover? I'm wondering if squirrels or whatnot would even be interested? If yes, how tall would you suggest making the cage? 3ft maybe?

Thanks everyone!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County