SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

I finished preparing my first sqft garden bed today!

bindersbee
18 years ago

If it's possible, I am IN LOVE with soil. Seriously. My spouse is worried. I filled my first Trex sq.ft. garden bed with Mel's Mix today. I made (and when I say I, I mean that I held the screws while my spouse built the beds)the bed 2 2x6's tall with on section 3 2x6's tall then covered the bottom with landscape fabric to keep the indigenous weeds out- my garden has been filled with weeds since it sat fallow the last two years. I filled the first few inches of the bed with regular compost I bought last year and had some extra of but the real treat is Mel's Mix.

I made sure to get the REALLY good compost on Saturday for these beds, then mixed in peat moss and course vermiculite as per the 'Mel's Mix' instructions. I cannot believe how gorgeous it is! I ran my hands through it. My husband told me to use a rake to level it but I wouldn't do it. I wanted to run my hands through the soil. I just had to touch it and caress it. I am sick but oh, it felt so good and light and fabulous! I can't wait to make the grid then get it planted tomorrow.

The downside is that it was so expensive to fill that bed- I think it cost me nearly $80 as I used almost a full yard of compost, a giant bag of vermiculite and a big bale of peat. I might not be able to finish building and filling all the beds this year at those prices but I will certainly make the most of the ones I can finish. I have visions of vegetables dancing in my head!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths