SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck2345

Establishing a new veggie garden!!

Chuck2345
12 years ago

Well, we are going to try doing this for the first time in Florida. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Laid out an area 11' x 15' that is in mainly full sunlight.

First issue is the present irrigation for our lawn is reclaimed water. If it sprays over the veggie plot is that dangerous?_____. We will be watering the garden with drinking water but there is the lawn spray hitting the proposed garden right now.

We are thinking of using a 3' wide aisle and dividing the planting areas on the sides and the rear into 9 plots

(6 ea 4'x 4' blocks) and (3 ea 3' x 4' blocks) Do you think we need a 3' aisle or is that wasted space? _____

The planned area now has St. Augustine grass. I was thinking of killing the grass with Round-Up. Is that ok?_________

After the grass is killed or removed while still alive, I was going to rent a tiller and till the area and then mix in natural compost from a friend's bin, add new soil and maybe some Black Cow brand manure, too. Does this make sense?________________

How deep do you suggest we till? 12"_______18"________24"_______

The veggies we want to grow are tomatoes (cherry and regular size) peppers, zucchini, cukes, radishes, Romaine, summer squash, herbs and possibly garlic. Any comments on this selection for a fall planting in Central Florida

would be greatly appreciated.___________________________

Thank you for your comments.

My former planting experience was very successful but it was in New Jersey..Not Florida. I grew peppers, tomatoes, zucchini..so, I know how to stake and keep the pests off the plants, etc.

Comments (4)

Sponsored