SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castoral

Compost Question

castoral
14 years ago

I searched for awhile in this forum as well as the compost forum and didn't see this asked, so if I missed it, please forgive me.

We started a compost pile last summer which I thought would be enough for three garden beds. After filling the beds this weekend, turns out that after it broke down, it was only enough for one! Eeek!

My husband is getting really upset about how expensive everything is costing (even though we built beds from leftover decking, using an old wooden ladder to reduce cost of trellising, etc) but I now need more compost. I need to buy it this week though, as some of my seeds need to be in the garden like last week. The only thing I saw when I looked real quick at Meijer yesterday was compost horse manure for $1.97 for a decent sized bag. They also had peat hummus I think it was called, but I'm assuming that is more like peat moss which we already have. Planning on heading to Lowes at lunch.

Any suggestions on what to look for or what they'll carry. I know it's best to have all 5 kinds of compost (which I did in my own), but is there some that are cheaper than others? Would it help any if I added some ground up egg shells to the bed even though they aren't composted yet? I thought I read in a real simple magazine (take it for what it's worth maybe) that ground eggshells and the water from boiling egg shells was really good for the soil/plants?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals