SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solarity_gw

Need Quick Answers - Lights & Weed Mat

solarity
15 years ago

I have 3 quick questions (going to the hardware store after work today).

1) I have a 4' light fixture, the lights are old and don't look too good. It takes two T12 40W bulbs. What spectrum is best? Every time I search I get setups that are way more complicated than I'm looking for. My cherry tomatoes, chives, and marigolds have come up and I need something quickly. The cherry tomatoes look like they are going to grow fast.

2) Is a weed mat necessary? I have a new house, I put grass seed down last fall but there are no weeds in that area and so far little grass. We will be digging out some dirt to level the area for the raised bed. Is a weed mat really worth purchasing? Below the bed will be solid clay. I keep reading that some veggies have roots that will go down 10ft and wouldn't a weed mat prevent that?

3) I'm using peat pots. Whats the best way to underwater? Just put a little water in the tray frequently? Should I put a towel in the bottom to keep it damp? Should I have a separate tray full of water, where the pots get dunked to half-way up for like 10 minutes when needed?

Thank you.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting