SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my4cowboys_gw

What kind of wood?

my4cowboys
14 years ago

Hi all - before you roll your eyes and say that this has been discussed ad nauseum, there are a lot of conflicting opinions in the previous posts that I searched!

My husband and I are building 4 4x8 boxes this year. Next year, we'll add 2' wide perimeter boxes around, trying to create a nice permanent potager / square foot garden. We are going to to make the boxes 12" deep, as we have horrible soil, and would like them to be a little taller.

We had initially thought to spend a little more and make the boxes in cedar. However, after searching a lot of "materials" threads, cedar seems to really attract the termites, and may not last as long as one would think, when it's just regular cedar bought at Home Depot.

Is it worth the extra cost to do these in redwood? How long do you think these boxes would last - ballpark, given the variations of weather, etc. 5 years? 20? If we do go with redwood, should I stain the exterior, or leave them alone?

On the other hand, my options are fir or pine. I'm assuming these will not last as long - maybe 2 or 3 years?

If we're going to go through the expense and energy to make these, we want to have them last, and do it right the first time.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus