SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mylubbock

help with trip please - Ft. Worth to Savannah (long)

mylubbock
17 years ago

My mother and I want to drive from Ft. Worth, TX to Savannah, GA in late June. We have about 9 days total for the trip with 3 or 4 in Savannah. This would be our first time driving through the Deep South and we both have been looking forward to it for a long time. I have several questions I hope you can help me with:

For the drive out - I was thinking that staying roughly on US 80 (follows I-20) would be the most direct. We don't love the interstate and would prefer more of a "backroads" feel, but would want to veer off now and again to see a really good garden, historic home or place to eat. Does anyone have any ideas for places along that route?

However, now that I start planning, I see Oxford, MS off the route and think I would love to see up there. That would let us drive some of the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is supposed to be lovely. Would that huge deviation be worth it?

The only part of the trip I am not worried about is Savannah. I have lots of information on where to go and what to do there.

On the way back, we thought we might take a more southerly coastal route - sort of along I-10, but smaller roads if we can manage. Any ideas down there? How are things looking?

I know this is a very broad topic, but I am a overwhelmed with information (Mississippi lists 107 garden attractions on their state tourism web site) and am having a hard time assimilating food, garden, and pretty drive lists into a plan.

At the very least: what are some of the "must see" gardens in LA (not New Orleans), MS, AL, and GA (not Atlanta)?

Any and all help and advice would be most appreciated. I would like to make this a memorable trip for Mom!

Comments (5)

Sponsored