SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trmeyer_gw

Question about placement of boxes and trellis

trmeyer
14 years ago

Hello, I am new here, kinda. I have been reading on this for the last few years and I am going to finally take the plunge and do it. Even though my husband doesn't think it will work.

But I have a question on the placement of boxes. In my plan I have my tomatoes, cucumbers and other vining plants on the north end of my boxes. After making my boxes and mel's mix, I will not have the money to make the trellising like he shows, which I think would work great. But I do have access to lots of cattle and hog panels that are about 12-16 ft long. I have grown pole beans and gourds on these before set up as arches. My question is, can I position my boxes in two rows with the cattle panel starting at the north end of one box, arching across the walkway to the south end of the other box and let my stuff grow over the walk? If this will work, can I grow stuff in the south end of the other boxes to grow up the arch also? There is no shade from early morning until late evening in the summer in this spot. I don't think this will shade any plants out, since they will have sun the entire day from east to west. I'm just trying to find the easiest way to do this, and really don't want to try to cut my panels shorter. Would have to use a torch or bolt cutters. Thanks for any help you can give me and I hope I explained this clearly enough.

Tracy

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH