SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliat_gw

Standout shrub for full shade?

juliat
18 years ago

I'm trying to lighten up a dark shrub border on the north side of a house. Among other new plantings, I'd like to put a light-colored shrub about six feet away from the house -- hence, it will still be in a lot of shade. This new shrub will be in front of a row of azaleas and boxwood.

I can't plant anything poisonous, since the homeowners have children. That rules out pieris.

Clethra and deutzia may require too much moisture or be too suckering; I'm not sure.

I don't know if variegated red-twigged dogwood can take this much shade. Also, dogwood in our area are prone to powdery mildew and anthracnose, and I've heard varying opinions on whether those also affect the red-twigged shrub varieties of cornus.

I am not sure whether even hydrangeas could take this much shade. I'm pinning my hopes on them for now, unless someone has a better idea...

The soil is clay, zone 7. We can amend if necessary. The weather is variable: sometimes dry/drought; other times we have humidity and plenty of rain.

What I'd really like is a shrub with variegated or golden foliage -- or anything else lighter than dark green -- that is not named above and will survive in dark shade.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I'm drawing a big blank here.

Thanks --

Julia

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022