SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccaggiano_gw

Mel's Mix - The First Year

ccaggiano
16 years ago

Last year was my first foray with growing veggies. I had two beds dug up from my existing lawn. One was an 8 x 4 bed slightly raised, bordered by railroad ties. The other was a 12 x 4' bed against the foundation on the side of the house. I had initially intended the second bed to be used for bushes, perennials, annuals etc. But I had a bunch of veggie plants left over. Money was tight. So that became my second veggie bed. I grew cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants, red peppers and basil. All of the plants thrived and I was quite popular in the neighborhood when I had so much that I had to give a lot away.

I live in an area with very sandy, compacted soil. The soil is so compacted that you can't dig more than an inch or two before it is like cement. I had to hire someone for the day who dug out these two beds because I couldn't do it myself. The sandy soil was amended with peat moss & compost. And throughout the summer, I occasionally fertilized. With just that, all of the plants thrived.

I plan on building four 4 x 4' raised beds this spring. I spent 16 hours in the last two days selecting seeds, laying out the beds etc. I am very excited about SFG but am somewhat concerned about Mel's Mix. Aside from the expense, I have seen numerous complaints about the quality of the soil the first year. Posts that say that the first year's crops didn't do that well and Mel's mix wasn't that great. I would hate to go through the expense and work involved with building the beds only to have my plant growth compromised because of the Mel's Mix.

Am I worrying for nothing?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals