SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

What do do with this wet shade area

chris_ont
17 years ago

Hi

The narrow space on the East side of my new house is quickly becoming a collection spot for things I need to get out of the way. (see below) I'd rather not make a habit of that.

I am looking for ideas for this area. It's screened off from the street by the hedge in the back there, but it probably needs some thinning. I was going to remove it, but without it, passersby have a clear view of a shaded seating area and so I'd be giving up privacy.

Anyway, this gets only a little sun in the morning and it's very wet here. The patio slabs near the house aren't really needed for drainage - they were just put there for now when a small patio was removed.

There are lots of weeds here, which don't get very dense because of the damp.

Hostas may work here, but I think I'd be inviting a major slug invasion. Also, I'm looking for something very low-maintenance. This area is visible from the back yard but no one actually goes there. Is there a ground cover that will thrive in here? Invasive would be okay, as long as it doesn't reseed in other areas of the garden.

One option would be to place a shrub just on the other side of the downspout and actually go ahead and use the area for storage, but what shrub likes such conditions?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor