SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_vinny

Jack in the Pulpit......Surprise!!

miss_vinny
18 years ago

After two weeks in Mexico, I came back to my small shade garden to find a plant I'd never seen before growing right out of the centre of one of my pots! And it was big, too, with two sets of leaves about 16 inches high and a flower...I don't know about you, but as a shade gardener, I get pretty excited when I see an actual flower on something! On closer inspection, I realized that it was a Jack in the Pulpit, which I purchased as a tuber several years ago that never came up and I'd assumed that it died. I guess this will teach me never to assume anything when it comes to plants!

Does anyone have any of these lovely plants or some good tips on how to keep it happy and healthy? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• shapiro
    18 years ago

I grow Jacks in a small area that I call my wild garden. They need partial shade and nice humus-y soil. They emerge rather late - it's a good idea to mark the spot really well. Think woodland.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Don't know about them in your zone, but here in SE PA (Zone 7) they like a fairly dry deciduous half shade. The fall seed spikes are very pretty, and they self seed around commonly. They get larger year-to-year if happy, and some of ours are nearly 30 inches tall They start blooming at about 3-4 years old.

George

• joy4me
    18 years ago

Hi;

Where I am, they are not too fussy. In fact, I'm constantly digging and moving them they come up like weeds. I am in a partial clearing in the woods...made the mistake 2 years ago of taking soil for the garden from different places in my woods. I learned a lesson too!! Now they're everywhere. LOL The berries they form don't even have to be buried, they swell and turn brown, send up a thick shoot Looks like a green dunce cap in an upside down acorn cap which can be lifted right from on top of the soil...almost looks like it's growing up from an acorn cap...after they have grown a bit, then they send down roots. Amazing really. They are pretty and look nice in a clump. Enjoy!!

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

They grow taller if they get more water. Moist, well drained soil. to propogate they need leaf mold. I have red and green pulpits. They do well up north.

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

I LOVE Jacks! I just blogged about mine today:

Here is a link that might be useful: Moon Jack

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets