SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hiramsgrove

My Total Shade

hiramsgrove
19 years ago

Great postings. Hope you can help.

Our lake house is in the woods in NW NJ, near Delaware River. We're in the foothills of the Kitatinny mountains, and our house is at the base of a small mountain so it is wet/marshy out back...we have a natural pond (30x30 feet) in the yard full of frogs and turtles that gets mountain runoff feeding into it in the rain.

So the pond area is marshy but the beds near the house are not marshy.

The soil is challenging. With the trees every where (except directly over the pond) its partial light at best and tons of shade-only woodland gardening.

3 years now, and very little has worked. The astilbes dropped dead in the shade. The holly plants I put in as a hedge withered. The butterfly bushes died in the shade but did thrive in the partial sun. I trucked in manure-mixed soil for the flower beds and still it all withered. The micanthus grass died in the shade and in the partial suin it didn't grow much and I don't know if it survived the winter. The azaleas have withered.

Yes, I am a bit frustrated.

On the positve side its a beautiful woodland area, trees, wild turkeys and bears and (too many) deer, jack in the pulpit everywhere. Wild iris by the pond.

I have 1) several beds alongside the hosue for which its basically....shade. I would like to plant a garden that will stay alive. 2) I'd like some hardy shrubs/hedge borders in some of these. 3) I have the wet areas near the pond, shadey, where the iris grow that I can plant in.

Is it the sol? The lack of sun? Is it me????

With thanks in advance for your insights......help!

Jim

Comments (11)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor