SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Need some basic seed-saving help

northerner_on
14 years ago

I have been saving seed from my garden for the past 3 years quite successfully. However, this year has been quite different from most: we had very early warm weather, followed by a wet, cold summer, followed by about 3 weeks of sun in September, followed by a very wet cool fall. The result is that most of the annual blooms were late, and were still in prime condition when a hard frost hit two days ago. Of course my flowers (zinnias, cosmos, & other annual) are looking 'burnt' from the cold, but they were green three days ago, so I fear their seeds are not developed. Usually, by now many flowers would have dropped their petals, have dried and turned brown, and I would be able to collect seed easily. Now I wonder if I would get any viable seeds if I let these flowers dry out. Should I cut the folowers and dry them indoors? I broke open a coneflower today - the cone was still green and the little seeds were still white. That implies that they are immature and useless for propogation. This is the first time I have encountered this, so could someone please shed some light on this situation? I have promised some GW members seeds, and if I can't provide them I prefer to let them know ahead of time. Similarly, if I need to buy or swap seeds, I prefer to know what I need now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Northerner.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions