SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janine_starykowicz

Woodland poppy

Janine Starykowicz
19 years ago

I've got an area on the west side of my house, shaded to the south by a porch, now shaded on the west by an alleged dwarf apple tree. It does get some sun, but mostly in the spring. Four o'clocks will bloom but they are spindly with few flowers. We're moving the burning bush that almost never burns and the clematis that only gets a few flowers. Irises seem happy so those will stay.

Park Seeds has woodland poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum, 3 bareroots for $6.95. Says it blooms spring to midsummer, and sometimes to fall, reseeds readily.

Is this a good deal, or can I find seeds cheaper? Does it really continue blooming in the summer?

Any other suggestions for summer bloomers? The irises are purple shades, I also have a serotina florida honeysuckle (red and yellow) on the fence that does get more morning sun, this will be the third year for it. I'm going to add violets, but those are just spring bloomers.

This area is in back of a patio with 2ft wall, so anything scented is also a plus. The honeysuckle should be scented, but haven't noticed much. There is an ancient lilac along the fence (west of this area) that adds to the shade but has wonderful blooms. I've had impatiens under it and added more tulips for this year.

For summer I want mostly yellows, maybe reds and whites, will probably add variegated hosta when we thin out other areas too (blooms lavender, but I can keep them mostly away from the honeysuckle).

Comments (9)

Sponsored