SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

On taking cuttings and overwintering salvia, agastache

This year I really expanded my "xeriscape garden" beyond the hardy salvias and those tender types I can find in the annual section of the nursery that are tender perennials in my zone. I ordered some of the more unusual types of salvia, agastache and penstemon from High Country Gardens. Conditions (for them) have been great this year virtue of heat and drought and my addition of grit to the soil. Now, autumn is just about here and I sure would like to have these plants next year without having to purchase the same ones all over again.

I don't have a greenhouse for cuttings. All I've got are tall shelves with double shop lights as a seed starting setup. One unit is in an unheated but enclosed building. The other is in my house. I have root stimulator and plenty of pots.

How complicated is it going to be to get these tender salvia to stay alive and root over the winter and early spring before they can be planted out? I don't dare trust leaving them to the vagaries of winter under mulch of any kind as we have a lot of ice, heave and thaw cycles that lost me a bunch of plants last year. Is the whole procedure the same for the penstemon and agastache?

Comments (13)