SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovesnakeplant

I need to explain the life cycle of the Sansevieria Trifasciata

lovesnakeplant
17 years ago

I have a mother-in-laws tongue that was given to me when my grandfather died in 1985. My mother told me that Grandma had this before her and daddy where married in 1949.

I need to write a paper for my biology class about the life cycle of a plant. I have decided to write about the Sansevieria trifasciata.

I have looked the web over and still have some questions about this plant and am sure I will have many more.

Does this plant produce seeds from the flowers that it produces to cause new plants to form or does it strictly grow from the root system?

I have read that these plants can live for many years. This seems to be the case with mine. However, is this normal for this plant to live this long?

Am I correct in saying that the life cycle of this plant begins with leaves emerging in clumps from underground rhizomes. Growing up to 4 foot high and capable of producing sweet smelling white colored flower stalks. This plant propagates itself or can be started from leaf cuttings.

I read somewhere about blooms only being produced on certain areas of the plant but now that I want to correctly identify the part of the plant I can't remember what I read or where I found the information on this site.

Is it true that the leaves which develop under bright light out of doors or in bright greenhouses have prominent light cross-bands, while those which develop under 2000 foot-candles or less, or are held under low light intensities, have nearly solid dark green leaves?

While I am working on my paper I am trying to word everything correctly. Any help that you all can give will be greatly appreciated.

I love this site and have learned a lot about my plant. There is so much to read and digest.

Thanks for all the postings and replies, this is really a great help to me and my plant.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals