SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauriewood_gw

Yellowjacket nightmare

lauriewood
20 years ago

I stepped on my first nest of yellow jackets yesterday at the base of my live oak tree. I have never run so fast in my entire life! Nor have I ever been stung by an insect before. Luckily, I was only stung once. But it really hurt. Until then, I had absolutely no idea they lived in the ground (people, witness the birth of a brand new phobia). I was going to leave it alone, since after much research I learned that the nest is usually abandoned after a season; that is until I read this charming fact on the Clemson University Extension website:

"Above-ground nests will persist in dry areas, but they are rarely used again the next spring. A huge southern yellow jacket colony was discovered in Charleston County in August 1991, containing an estimated 250,000 yellow jackets. The nest was thought to have been re-inhabited for more than one year."

Chilling, isn't it? I am an hour from Charleston. The nest had to go. Needless to say I high-tailed it to the hardware store after calling the extension office. Armed with a bag of Sevin and a can of yellow jacket-killing foam, I stalked the entrance of the hive at dusk, too terrified to do anything. Not only am I frozen in fear in a halfway lean, I am also dressed like a fundamentalist terrorist, with bad tight jeans tucked into high black boots, gloves tucked into 2 black sweaters, and to top it off, a multitude of black scarves wrapped into a makeshift turban arranged so that only a hint of my eyes are visible.

45 minutes later (in previous described stance the whole time, mind you), I killed the hive (I hope). I live on a corner lot. Visible to traffic on 3 sides. Judging from the looks my dogs were giving me, I do not even want to know what my neighbors were thinking.

I can only give my thanks to God that my husband was out of town and not here to mock me.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions