SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Sport Parva albomarginata? Woohoo!

woodnative
10 years ago

This little white parva seems to have produced a pup of reverse variegation.....green center and white edges. Anyone seen this before? I like the way it looks thus far!

Comments (12)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Now that's fascinating! I don't know much about S. parva cultivars... is there one that is green with white edges?

Either way, you have something new at least!

On a different note (better stated in the Houseplants forum I suppose), I have a Chlorophytum comosum 'Green Bonnie' ('Spider Plant') pup that has a solid white band going down the center... doesn't look like a normal variegated 'Bonnie' either. Sports make plants much more interesting!

Planto

• woodnative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto-
    Sports are fun! I have to check out your Chlorphytum. S. parva is vigorous as far as Sans go. There is a cultivar with a thin yellow edge. This sport with the white edge must have happened before but I can't find reference or pics of it. Hopefully one of the veteran Sansophiles will chime in.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I am very happy for you. I would think you have a newbie. That gives you naming rights. What do you want to call it. But I would see if it pups true. When are you going to separate it?

• woodnative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush- I would think this happened before but I can't find reference yet. Based on the variegation pattern it should be quite stable. It is still young but I will leave it on as long as possible. Actually I will probably put a pot beside this one and let it root while still attached. Hopefully Murphy's Law will not come into play and nothing will happen to it.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

That would be amazing if you have the first white edged S. parva (sounds like Stush believes you do)!

Here's a picture of the Chlorophytum pup. Not very big by any standards, I just placed it in water last week (I noticed the supporting "branch" was broken and the poor thing was starting to get limp).

It has since perked up in water and is already sprouting a number of roots. I can take another picture down the road for you once it gets enough size to it.

I've lost track of how many babies are attached together, but two are variegated while the others remains green. Who knows, maybe the variegation will disappear over time (although every leaf produced thus far has the stripe) or maybe the variegation will appear on the all green ones eventually (that's doubtful though).

Thus far... it's not all that exciting to look at, I believe once it gets bigger I'll be more excited lol.

{{gwi:1249414}}

Here's mama. She has more babies than the picture shows. She's apparently happy!

{{gwi:79123}}

Thanks for looking and for sharing your Sans sport. Do you plan on removing it eventually? As Stush mentioned, I'd be interesting to see what its pups look like. That'd be something if they revert back to the way "Grandma" looks or if you end up with some off the wall stripes.

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I'd edit my post, but I'll let you read it, haha. You replied to Stush's question about removing the pup before I hit submit. ;) You can ignore my question regarding that.

Planto

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Woodnative, that is an awesome photo. I doubt the plant is stable and may produce all sorts of variations in the future. I'm pretty sure that parva is capable of producing the same sort of variegates that the trifasciata species does.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Fantastic!

Josh

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Chris,
    I took a close look at my parva white, and it has both variations on the same growth. It looks like they are starting out with the center stripe in green, and then as it grows more leaves the are white in the center.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Good looking Barb,
    Chirs the trick is to see stabilization of the pattern. If it pups true. Time will tell.
    Just as you predicted, my all yellow pup was only it's first few leaves them it reverted back to normal. Oh-well. Maybe next time.
    Stush

• woodnative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bmock-
    Nice para! However, I don't see any growhs that are green centered with white edge (?). In any cae, we shall what happens by end of summer and I will report back on it!

• barbmock
    10 years ago

I see what you mean now. Mine still has some green on the edge even though there is white striping. Are you growing under lights? Your plant is much whiter than mine.