SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newtocharleston

All I have is ligustrum and want hummers/butterflies

newtocharleston
18 years ago

Hi, friends - I've just relocated to Summerville (just outside of Charleston, SC) from San Francisco Bay area where I had a 1906 home with a lovely, established garden, with no lawn at all. We've bought a home in a lovely neighborhood, but we bought a new home from the builder and all I have is centipede grass and ligustrum that hasn't been cared for at all. I've got Mrs. Whaley's book, "Garden Perennials for the Coastal South", "Some Like It Hot", and The Gardener's Guide for Charleston and the Lowcountry. So, my main problem is not what to plant, but what to plant *when*. None of these books are set up to tell me what I should buy in late Feb/early March and put in the ground. I want a lovely herb garden (will any be perennials here?), and also want to attract butterflies/hummers in any way possible. I also want fast-growing vines, etc, so that my yard isn't completely naked for years to come. I also need some evergreens and some things for winter show (it's terribly naked right now). Thanks in advance to any of you who have ideas!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions