SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Veggie Recipes!

Alright! Heres a thread to counteract that "other" thread thatÂs floating around here right now! Give us your funnest and favoritestÂand healthiestÂveggie recipes!

HereÂs a favorite of mine that I discovered in high school when a friend of mineÂs parents (apologies for the illiteracy of this sentence!) were out of town for a few days, and I was staying with her, and this is what she decided to makeÂand I thought it sounded absolutely disgustingÂuntil I tasted itÂand IÂve LOVED it ever since!

------------------------------------------

CedricÂs Casserole (a/k/a Cabbage Casserole)

Here's the original recipe as I got it out of my friend's cookbook:

Saute:

1 medium onion

In:

3 Tablespoons butter

Add: (Heating thru but not browning)

1/2 lb. hamburger

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Spread in a 2 qt. baking dish:

3 cups shredded cabbage

Cover with meat mixture

Top with more cabbage

Pour over top:

1 can undiluted condensed tomato soup

Bake covered Temperature: 350° Time: 1 hour

---------------------------------------------

Now here's how I do it!

I use a whole head of cabbage and my 2 largest casseroles. I shred the cabbage finely and after slicing it I cut through the "slices" a couple times so the "shreds" aren't so long (and messy) when you're trying to eat it! I put a thick layer of cabbage in each casserole. (I used to spray the casseroles before putting anything in, but I discovered that they're easier to clean if I don't! The tomato will soak out, but the Pam had to be scrubbed off where it baked on the dish!)

I like onions, so I use a couple large onions which I medium dice and then saute them in olive oil before adding the (good quality--it doesn't need to have any fat in it for cooking) hamburger and I mash/stir it while it's heating through to break it into small pieces and keep it from actually browning. I add the salt (don't like pepperÂbut it would be good in this recipe if you like it!) after it's done heating.

Then I evenly spread a layer of the meat/onion mixture on top of the cabbage in each casserole and divide the rest of the cabbage on top of the meat. The cabbage "goes away" when it's cooked so I add as much as I possibly can but still leave enough room for the tomato soup so it doesn't cook over. Then I spread a can to a can and a half of tomato soup on top of each one and bake till the cabbage is tender.

I use about a pound of hamburger for both casseroles (my hamburger/onion mixture usually winds up being about half onion and half beef) but all the ingredients can be adjusted to your likes. Since the cabbage "disappears," I recommend using a deep casserole rather than a shallow one--so you can get a good layer of cabbage on both the bottom and the top and still have room for the soup.

It nukes beautifully and it'll keep in the fridge for at least a week. And the only thing I usually have with it is crusty French bread with real butter! Now that IÂm thinking about it again, I just might need to make it!

Enjoy,

Skybird

P.S. Azura, I saw you just mentioned Eggplant Parmigiana on another thread. IÂd love to have the recipe.

Comments (18)