SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bob

--western washington state growers--

t-bob
16 years ago

hi all you western washington state growers....i have been wondering when you folks plant your seed starts. i know the standard rule says to plant 8 weeks before final frost date, but that seems a bit early for western washington. those of us who live here know that we don't heat up as fast as many places do after the "final frost date". i'm not even sure when the frost date is here----does anyone know? also, i live in the san juan islands, so i also have to consider that into the equation since although the last frost date will be earlier, we also heat up slower due to the maritime influence. any info will be appreciated....and lets hope we have a drier and warmer summer than last summer.--thanx---bob

Comments (3)

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

Here in Maine I have the same problem and don't put my peppers out until about two weeks after the last frost date. Your local county extension office can give you last frost date and perhaps even data for the micro climate in the islands.

john

• rosa_alba
    16 years ago

Hey, T-Bob! I'm also Western WA (Zone 8a/9a according to the USDA map which makes for some interesting coin flips). We're in an odd little micro-climate here and you may be as well. Your best bet for getting a solid last frost date is probably to email the folks at the WSU extension for San Juan county. Their website link is at the bottom of this. If you go to the 'Master Gardners' page and click on the 'FAQ Page', there's an email link at the very bottom of the FAQ. I'm planning starting some peppers from seeds for the first time this year as well. Here's wishing good luck for us both.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU San Juan County Extension

• aleksandar
    16 years ago

I start my chiles really early... January. But they stay in pots and require along time to mature. Those that I plan on putting in the garden I will start in late March. Experience has shown me that it does no good to plant to early in cool soil, it just sets them back. I'm in coastal BC and plan to plant my non-potted peppers in late May early June.

Alex

Sponsored