SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nagamad

Bhut Jolokia and Bih Jolokia

nagamad
17 years ago

Has any body herd of these chillis? Apparently they are hotter than Dorset Naga / Naga Morich

The Bhut is 1,001,304 Scoville Heat Units.

The Bih is 1,041,427 Scoville Heat Units.

And Naga is 923,000 Scoville Heat Units.

If anybody has any info then please leave a post

Comments (38)

• fusion_power
    17 years ago

The three names are considered to be synonyms for the same basic strain of pepper.

Read this.

daves writeup

And

daves jolokia page

If you read the fine print, you will find where to buy seed.

Fusion

• darlochileman
    17 years ago

I see the chileman and his seeds gets a mention ;-)

Naga morich = Dorset naga imho

Bhut Jolokia (CPI) = Bih Jolokia (Frontal Agritech) also imho

check out the chileman database (www.thechileman.org) for a little more INFO on both

• Related Discussions

Future Hydroponic/pepper attempt

Q

Comments (14)
    I think it's important for any gardener, hydroponic or otherwise, to be comfortable with growing from seed or clone. I dislike buying previously started plants simply because there's no way to know how much stress they may have been put through or anything like that about these plants. I've always found that I get better results from seeds or my own clones than I ever do from purchased plants. I bought a bunch of seed packets this year for my hydroponics, including several packets of lettuce specifically. Those packs have a couple hundred seeds in them, easily. I think I've used a couple dozen, tops. Honestly I should've used 2-3 times that number, but I tend to under-germinate and just "hope" I'll get good results (which I haven't in my latest batch). Left-over seeds aren't wasted. You spend a couple bucks on the packet and get as many plants as you could possibly want. Or you spend several bucks on seedlings someone else grew and may or may not be all that healthy. If you throw away most of the seeds you still come out ahead. Plus, seeds are just a nice clean slate. If you clean all your equipment properly you can be virtually assured that you're not bringing any pests or pathogens from prior crops into your growing room. Starter plants are bulk produced. Some are just better than others and you can't always tell which are which by looking.
    ...See More

WANTED: Wanted

Q

Comments (1)
    Just a FYI Guillo, www.peppermania.com has Naga Morich, Fatalii Yellow, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, and 3-4 other types of brown C. Chinense that are very hot. Seed packet prices are very reasonable as well ($2.25). Chris
    ...See More

Where to find Bhut/Bih/Naga Jolokias

Q

Comments (3)
    chileplants.com sells started plants, I have not ordered from them personally. A friend of mine has ordered from them in the past and said that he had no problems. I hope this helps. -WickedMojo Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.chileplants.com
    ...See More

Thanks to Harneu For a Neat Germinating Idea

Q

Comments (1)
    That is a cool idea, but that website has to have the slowest loading photos I have ever seen, and I have a fast connection! I have a couple narrow Jiffy type trays that I set on top of the fluorescent fixtures to warm up. Seems to work fine.
    ...See More
  • danial
    17 years ago

better yet go to new mex state un go to there chile shop you can get it from there. read there story because they are the one that grew the 1,000,000 s pepper have all three of the peppers to grow this year so we will see.
    Dan
    let it burn

• txclosetgrower
    17 years ago

Check it out, this site sells seeds for all 3 kinds, Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia & Naga Morich/Dorset Naga. I haven't personally ordered from them, but they were recommended on www.thechileman.org so I probably will order from them soon :)

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/the_hottest_chilli_in_the_world.htm

That link is directly to where they sell those.
    http://www.chileseeds.co.uk

• oburn
    17 years ago

Reimer seeds sells Dorset Naga for $15.00 .

• potawie
    17 years ago

I wouldn't buy anything from Reimers. They've screwed me and many many others.

• oburn
    17 years ago

I looked up Remiers on the net their bad just like you said thanks for the warning.

• bluelytes
    17 years ago

POTAWIE,
    Agree with you re: Reimers. Also, if you look, (last time I looked), they were listing their "Dorset Nagas" as "Capsicum annuum", and NAGAS ARE chinese, NOT annuum, near as I know.

TXCLOSET,
    WHY would you pay 3 times the cost from UK when you can get them right next door to you, (New Mex), for much less??

Regards;
    bluelytes

• danial
    17 years ago

I AGREE WITH BLUELYTES I GOT MY SEEDS FROM NEW MEX IN SIX DAYS AFTER I ORDER. JUST GO ON LINE NEW MEX STATE U. GO TO SHOP THEY HAVE A GOOD SELECTION OF SEEDS AND THE BHUTJOLOKIA ARE 10 FOR $5 BUT THE REST ARE $2 FOR 30 SEEDS
    BOWHUNTER
    LET IT BURN

• arbitor
    17 years ago

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk
    Frontal Agritech the famous Assamese Chilli Growers that brought all chilli heat lovers the hottest chilli in the world, the Bih Jolokia chilli pepper, have chosen The Chilli Seed Company as their UK and European Sole Distributor.
    The Bhut Jolokia meaning Bhut = Ghost/Spirit, Jolokia = chilli pepper, in Assamese, that has been grown for hundreds of years in India, has been field and heat tested by the Chile Pepper Institute. The heat tests record the chilli at a staggering, lip numbing, mind blowing 1,001,304 Scoville Heat Units by the Chile pepper Institute and 1,041,427 by Frontal Agritech the famous Assamese Chilli Growers. That's a massive 10% hotter than a Naga. The Dorset Naga pepper was measured at 923,000 Scoville Heat Units. But don't take our word for it, you now have a chance to buy the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia seeds for a limited time in limited amounts. We have a number of heat and germination tested seeds.
    The Chilli Seed Company now have a stock of Naga Morich Chilli Seeds, Bhut Jolokia, pronounced (B-HOOT), chilli seeds and the hottest in the world the Bih Jolokia chilli seeds. You might know these chillies from the news by the name of Dorset Naga, Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia / Bih Jolokia. Â Dorset Naga, Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich are all members of the same family with slight differences in heat, shape and colour with the Dorset Naga potentially being the mildest.

Here is a link that might be useful: the hottest seeds in the world

• lundrider
    17 years ago

BE CAREFUL WHEN ORDERING SEEDS FROM THE CHILLI SEED COMPANY IN THE UK IF YOU LIVE IN THE US. GOT MY ENTIRE ORDER CONFISCATED BY CUSTOMS.

• shelbyguy
    17 years ago

I applied for, and received within a week, a USDA permit to import capsicum seed from the UK. Got my "chilli seed" order without a problem.

But yeah, if you're looking for 'bhut jolokia' domestically, the chile pepper institute is selling it this year.

• superspicy
    17 years ago

I purchased a pack of these from NMSU at the Fiery Foods show, 10 seeds for $5. I am a begginer at growing, but want to try these. Being as AZ is so hot and dry, I am not home enough to keep them properly watered. Would Hydroponics be an option?

• shelbyguy
    17 years ago

hydroponics is an option, but you still have to keep the water topped off somehow. a controller bucket helps for this. in az you may have to deal with hot root temps and evaporation, depending on your growing method.

drippers on a timer would work if you're using soil/soilless mix in containers

my bih jolokia and bhut jolokia seedlings are in peat+perlite under 1k watt sodium grow light. I was able to germ these seeds in an unheated basement using a tray and dome sitting just above the grow light ballast for warmpth. daytime temps are 77f and nighttime temps are 55f. i got 90%+ germ rate.
    fwiw.

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

Pumping the temps up on Nagas has helped with germination (85-90 degree range). At least, it's my personal experience this year.

Chris

• tigerb8
    17 years ago

I agree with Chris about the heat.

ButchT

• pepperhead212
    17 years ago

I started one naga dorsett and two bhut jalokia on 2-1, and they are now just over 2", but fairly big leafed and big in diameter. Small for this old, as usually I would be transplanting peppers after that growing that long. The bhut jalokia has a growing season of 120 days, which is why I started it 2 months early, and I assumed the naga dorsett was similar.

I'll keep you posted...of course, it will be a while!

Dave

• User
    17 years ago

superspicy,

A local hydroponic outfit here sells this "Tropf Blumat" self watering system. I haven't tried it myself but it looks interesting. I've Googled it and did not find any performance comments from regular growers but I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

If it works as advertised, it may solve your watering issue.

Like I said, haven't used it myself but it looks interesting.

Best of luck,

Bill

• jasonm1234
    16 years ago

ih! im growing one of the jolokie plants. dont now which! its come on well lately, its 35cm in hight and nice and bushy, but i think it has started flowering too early. its leavs are still small. its producing 3 or 4 new flowes a day i self polinate, and then thay just wilt and fall off from the main branch.... what am i doing wrong??

• User
    16 years ago

Leave them alone--they don't need any help with pollination.

• habanero500
    15 years ago

Letting you all know that I am obtaining some nice quantities of seed for the Following Assam Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, Trinidad 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion and the rare Malaysian Habanero Goronong. Contact me through my website and I will send you a word doc that will give you all the information. I am paying quite a bit to get pure seeds but may re-sell to make a little profit. Yes my seed is from overseas and just let me point out that all overseas seed can be confiscated if you do not have the necessary customs paperwork. So I am taking that risk until I get paperwork done which takes forever.

Now heres other good news. I will be selling some plants. You do know these plants do not germinate well. So think about plants as an option to seed. Also I have the ability to create plants from cuttings. So as long as I get a few going I will have plants. Now if you are willing to wait I will have fresh chiles too. Then you can just take out your own seeds. So you can buy seeds from fatalii.net or UKchile seeds and take a risk or let me take the risk for you. By the way Reimers seeds resells for UK and I will not charge what they charge. You can contact me at jpdherb@cox.net or go to my site. God Bless! Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Refining Fire Chiles

• cmpman1974
    15 years ago

Same comment as in the other thread...sales not allowed.

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago

Chris,
    The guys been doing it for a while.I've seen his posts before,I don't remember where right now.

Don't ya wanta help the children?
    After expenses of coarse... LOL

Gotta E-Mail or call for prices.
    He might need addresses to spam on the side...

He has nothing for a trade list,just a give me your money post.

• nagajolokia
    15 years ago

Friends,

I too got a mail from habanero 50o0 offering everything under the sun for a price. His website is mis leading to people like me. First I thought that he uses the proceeds to help poor children. But I understand now that he makes a living out of it too.

I am sorry that such people use unfair means to trade.

Naga Jolokia Addict

• harneu
    14 years ago

Here is an excellent tip for germinating tricky seeds like Bhut Jolokia. Buy a USB coffe cup warmer for about $10. It heats a small cup/glass of water to 30 degrees celsius constantly. Add seeds to warm water and all viable seeds will sprout within 2-6 days. Then carefully transplant to Jiffy Pots and watch them grow. No need to wait a month or two anymore(and forget to water because you gave up!). It is simple, scientific and works very well every time.

http://www.chillihead.tohelpyou.info/photos.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: Germinating Bhut Jolokia

• messiah
    14 years ago

under advice from a jolokia expert site i planted 5 dorsets and 5 bhut in miracle grow cactus mix and with a 8 dollar heat pad and had 100% germination in less than 2 weeks with my first ones popping up in about 6 days. loose soil and heat are the key to germination with these it seems

• johnpo
    14 years ago

messiah, did you put the heater on low, medium, or high?
    Do you have the link to the jolokia expert site you mentioned?
    Thanks!

• messiah
    14 years ago

it is a single temperature "warmer" meant to warm the soil up to 15 degrees above the current room temp i.e. if its 70 in your house it will keep it at about 82-85 degrees. and i'll look for that link, it was in my favoeites list and then i reformatted and lost them all. but he also said to avoid peat pellets when germinating because straight peat has enough acid in it to cause possible root failure. the MG cactus mix has peat but not to thick and with awesome drainage. on my own accord i ran 2-100 watt equivelant compact flourescent bulbs about 8 inches above to ensure the top layer didnt cool off too much(at a whopping 45 watts total power usage it was worth it).also instead of watering i misted the soil 3 times a day with a spray bottle to minimize disturbing the seeds. i will keep looking for the web address.

• filaluvr
    14 years ago

I used the baggie method for my peppers and got 100% germ on my Naga Jolokia seeds, germinating in 4 to 8 days for all and over 80% on the others except for two varieties. I used a 17 watt fluorescent spiral light bulb in a bendable table fixture and directed the bulb under a covey hole shelf in my computer desk and placed the seeds in their baggies in the shelf above. I took a few days of no seeds with a thermometer on the seed shelf to make sure there would be fairly consistent temps of around 85f and ended u needing to cover the whole thing at night with a dishtowel when temps dropped a bit. I used chamomile tea to wet the baggies with when starting the seeds. Kathy

• rdback
    14 years ago

messiah,

Redwood City believes/states at least some of the things you're talking about. I don't know if they're considered jolokia experts but perhaps they're your "missing link". If not, you might enjoy the read anyway lol.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Redwood City Seed Company

• scottcounty
    14 years ago

I'm a pepper head and a small restaurant owner. I'm wondering where I can buy a small amounts of these peppers. Right now I'm using Hotter than Hell habeneros and Thai Chili sauce and I'm wanting to step up another notch and be all natural.

• messiah
    14 years ago

scottcounty
    well i dont know how good they are but i saw two different people selling 5 dried jolokia pods for $5 on ebay.

• t-bob
    14 years ago

this is for HARNEU by using the USB coffee cup heater, does this mean you have to keep your computer on 24/7 while the seeds sprout?....i'm assuming so, but am definitely not a computer whiz by any means?
    whats the answer........and thanks for the hint---bob

• harneu
    14 years ago

t-bob, yes the computer stays on 24/7
    Good question to ask, I leave my computer on 24/7 and never gave it a thought about most people turning off their computers after use.

I am a computer tech and I use the computer always in all of my free time.

t-bob you only need to keep the computer running 24/7 for about a week to get reliable germination. In summer the heater may not be needed but in the cool season the heater is a must. The idea is to germinate during the last weeks of frost, grow indoors by a window for 2 months then grow outside. This way fruit will have sufficient time to mature.

My post was aimed at people frustrated with low or nil germination success rates. The seeds will always germinate if the conditions are correct, people tend to blame the seed supplier.

Here is a link that might be useful: bhut jolokia germination tips

• vieja_gw
    14 years ago

The Bhut in the garden are now producing fruit after our temps have stayed in the 90's for awhile. Sure ugly looking wrinkled light green fruit at first. The two dozen or so Bhut plants look so different from the NM green chile we grow & so far have harvested 33 pounds (of the green)from the first picking & roasted it & in the freezer. Don't know if we will grow the Bhut again as this has been the third or fourth year for it & hubby prefers the X-tra hot regular (no name other than our label: 'Sin Nombre"!)green chile he has been growing for several years as our space for chile is limited here in the City.

The Bhut seed came from NSMU in Las Cruces where so much of the chile research has been & is being done.

• greenearthfiji
    14 years ago

I have Bhut Jolokia Peppers and sees at www.GreenhouseBusiness.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Bhut Jolokia peppers

• notrod
    14 years ago

The USB heater sounds like a good idea. I think I will try it next season. I don't plan on using a computer to run it the whole time though. There are adapters that can be plugged into the wall outlets that have USB outputs for charging phones, mp3 players, and other such devices. I have one from my Ipod I will be using. I know it may add to the cost of growing, but would be worth it if there are noticeable results.

Also, I think the epsom salt mixture has ended my problem with flower drop. Hopefully there is still enough time to get some fruit started before I have to move it inside due to temp.

• peterspepper
    14 years ago

Anyone know how long it takes these peppers once they start to fruit to turn red?? Mine first started to fruit about a month ago, I have about 10 of them that are green and about 3-4 inches long, but they are still green!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor