SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Shrub ideas for full shade north side of house?

singcharlene
16 years ago

Some of you may recall that last spring we had all of the 30+ year old junipers removed from around the perimeter of the house.

I'm having a hard time choosing foundation shrubs for the north side of our house which gets full shade all year except when the sun is highest in summer the area gets a bit of afternoon sun (if that's a problem for shade plants, I was thinking I could plant a well placed small tree to shade.)

I don't really frequent this north side of the house often and I don't want to spend a lot of time over there. The way our house is situated though, it is the only side visible from the street.

I kind of want a simple "modern" look for this area (like one type of shrub all along with ground cover and a nice looking mulch.) The bed is about five feet deep. I don't want the shrubs too tall because I don't want them to block the windows. Xeriscape would be a huge bonus.

What I've come up with so far is Spreading Yew, Black Chokeberry or large hostas which I'm afraid will take too much water.

I will lay a line of soaker hose along this area and cover with thick mulch so as to not water this area often.

Any ideas or successes you've had growing in shade?

Thanks!

Charlene

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional