SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaia_girl

Organic Aphids

gaia_girl
15 years ago

So, here is the scenario:

I live in Boise, ID, zone 6. I have several raised beds that I planted back in early-mid August, just to see what would come to fruition before the frosts.

I planted beets, chard and carrots in one bed, along with a lone zucchini. The beets are doing ok, as well as the Chard, I think that they were not fairing too well in the late heat we got/are getting here (80s-90s some days).

They have worms that eat into them, which remain underneath the leaf surfaces and eat the leaves from the inside out! They emerge from tiny white clusters of eggs that are surreptitiously laid on the underside of the leaves. My method of getting rid of them has been to squash they daily (very labor intensive)

In another bed, I have planted bush beans, which are doing great and are about to flower, bok choi, more chard, and kale.

I was out in this bed yesterday and to my chagrin I noticed aphids. Now I have noticed them prior to yesterday, but just a few here and there. They all seemed to be congregating on the bok choi, and one plant was almost completely covered! Needless to say, I harvested all of the bok choi today, and saved the majority of it from being sucked dry.

So, I have another bed right next to the previous one, which has more brassicas in it: cauliflower, kale and broccoli. I am SO worried about this bed! I want so badly to harvest this brassica bed, and I really don't know what to do to stave off the aphids who would love to have a hay day in there!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an organic method of aphid control?? And also, does anyone know what insect is laying its eggs on the undersides of my chard and beet leaves?

Thank you and I look forward to the advice!!

Danielle

Comments (6)