SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Grandmother's tomatoes

digit
16 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I was once given some tomato seeds by an uncle. They were saved from tomatoes grown by my grandmother during the Great Depression. Grandmother lived up until about 20 years ago and my uncle is now 80 (Dad is his older brother :o).

I've grown these tomatoes for about 15 years now. They may well be the "Porter tomato" introduced by the Porter and Sons Seed Company of Texas but Grandma called it "the peddlerÂs tomato" and that probably explains how she came to have it.

Grandma may have gotten the tomato seed in Texas where she was born and raised. Or, she may have gotten them in New Mexico. The Porter and Sons Seed Company has been out of business for a good number of years. I have grown Grandma's tomato and Porter side-by-side and still can't figure it out.

Grandma's has lighter-colored foliage, the fruit is earlier and a little larger but the fruit shape is very similar, they are both pink, and the taste is about the same. Well, these things can get a little muddled after 70 years. And, that's characteristic of heirlooms - both the history and the genetics get a little muddled. Interestingly, it's my wife who claims this tomato as her "favorite." I find it a little too mild for ranking that high on my own list but I'm very pleased that she likes it.

Porters is an heirloom tomato by almost anyone's standards. But, Grandmother's tomato is a family heirloom and has also been continuously grown for about 70 years. We call them "Pearls" and they are not only pearl-shaped but "Pearl" was Grandmother's name.

Many reading this take a special joy in gardening. Why don't you give some thought about what you grow or could grow that may be saved as a family heirloom?

digitalSteve

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths