SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Tomatoes 2009 ... revisited

highalttransplant
14 years ago

A while back we had a thread where everyone listed which tomatoes they were planning to grow. Now that some of us are planting out, or getting close to anyway, I'm just wondering if what folks ended up with matched their wishlists.

My original list:

Isis Candy (have a couple of extras to give to neighbor)

Aunt Gerties Gold (no germination)

Paul Robeson

Bloody Butcher

Brown Berry (ended up with a couple of extra)

Earl's Faux

Galina's Yellow Cherry (my earliest germinator, extras on this one too)

Persimmon (no germination)

Indian Stripe (one extra, but very slow to germ.)

Kellogg's Breakfast (after a second sowing, ended up with two)

Skorospelka (no germination)

Rainy's Maltese (no germination)

Now for those of you that shared seed with me, please don't feel bad about the lack of germination. I'm sure if I sowed them indoors, in a more controlled environment, the germination percentages would be higher, but all of the toms were wintersowed this year. Maybe I'll just sow heavier next time to account for the lower germ.

Anyway, I picked up a couple of plants at the Spring Swap, so here is my FINAL tomato list for '09:

Isis Candy

Paul Robeson

Bloody Butcher

Brown Berry

Earl's Faux

Galina's Yellow Cherry

Indian Stripe

Kellogg's Breakfast

Big Rainbow (Thank you, Austinnhanasmom!)

Cherokee Purple (I can't remember who brought this one, but thank you!)(This is the only one on this year's list that I have grown before)

Seven of these have been planted out, three are still in their containers. I have room for one more in the garden, and I have one Earthbox left. Bloody Butcher will be going in the Earthbox, but I can't decide whether to put Earl's Faux or Kellogg's Breakfast in the Earthbox. Which one of those needs the most space?

BTW, I browsed around the tomato forum earlier, and folks in Texas are already posting pictures of their tomato harvests! Last year, I didn't get my first ripe tomato until August!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Tomato List thread

Comments (12)