SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

gardening for chickens?

digit
15 years ago

If a bee sting while working in the garden is off topic, how 'bout gardening for chickens??

The pullets are 10 weeks old and beginning to look like the big hens they soon will be. I harvested the wheat and field peas (all 100 square feet of 'em ;o) and cooked some up for the birds. They were gone in a flash!

Yield wasn't very impressive, especially not since it's only one bed out of the veggie garden. Still, if they'd been grown on an acre - I'd have 2500 pounds of feed! Honestly, honestly, honestly - I can do much better by growing these 2 crops seperately. Will I want to grow an acre of chicken feed? Well, no but I may be willing to give up a couple of thousand square feet to this soon.

Three of the pullets are becoming aclimated to the wider world. They are so young that EVERYTHING is new, new, new. A sparrow flew over them while they were outdoors for one of their first excursions today - panic!!

Only 3 are invited out of the pen for now. They are the ones that have liked and trusted me from the very beginning.

I'd originally thought that the Barred Rocks were roosters and that explained their assertiveness. Didn't turn out that way. Olivia is one of the 7 Black Australorps. From the first, she was the one who came over in their box at the end of the day to hide under my hand and fall asleep. She will push past all the others to be close to me - everytime.

I have something of a good relationship with the other birds but about 3 or 4 out of the 10 pullets would press themselves thru the chicken netting like cheddar thru a grater to get away from me if I so much as set foot in their pen. Meanwhile, Edna May, Spring, and Olivia are under foot, observing my every move with facination, especially Olivia.

She is a small BA and quite "flighty," not all that characteristic of the breed. Edna May is a staid little creature. She has a birth defect (hatch defect?). She has a crooked toe. Doesn't seem to be any reason for it. It doesn't look broken and it sure hasn't slowed down her eating - she is the largest pullet and I think, #1 in the pecking order. Spring (Byington) is kind of a pretty thing, as chickens and Barred Rocks go.

I wasn't at all sure if these would be 3 of the 4 we would keep out of the group. Others will be "rehomed" (I hope) to Dad's place. But, DW said, "We don't want the ones that will fly over the fence. Bring out your friends!"

Today, DW said, "Why don't you choose some of the prettier chickens?" I didn't choose these chickens - they chose me! Either it's the ones that like me or these others, some of whom are suspicious of my every move and probably wouldn't trust a human as far as they could throw one.

Anyway, I thought maybe you'd like to see a few snapshots of the girls. They are only about one-third their adult size at this time.

Edna May is busy with something behind perky but blurred Olivia.

{{gwi:1217605}}

Spring by herself - Edna May & Olivia have had more outdoor experience and are a little more comfortable. Altho' the word "comfortable" may not apply to Olivia in any circumstance.

{{gwi:1217606}}

I can't believe I've named these birds . . . must be getting soft in my old age.

digitS'

Comments (9)