SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Kohlrabi question!

Hi all,

Ok, IÂm gonna venture in here with my kohlrabi question! Hope a few folks get a good laugh like they did on my parsnip threadÂand I hope somebody can answer my question too! (Thank you, Margaret, for the answer to my parsnip question---after all the laughter died down!)

Does anybody know what prevents kohlrabis from developing the bulgeÂor (above ground) root, or whatever itÂs called! I donÂt know what itÂs called either, Digit! You know, the part that bulges out from the main stem thatÂs the part you actually eat!

I have a whole lot of kohlrabisÂI got excellent germination, but all but a couple just have skinny, straight up stemsÂno bulge! IÂm ready to pull them out since theyÂre completely growing on top of/shading my wax beansÂwhich, I just discovered have ready-to-harvest beans on themÂbut I couldnÂt see them because my apparently useless kohlrabis are flopping all over on top of them! (Alright, thatÂs my fault, Âcause I forgot to leave a space for themÂsenior momentÂwhen I was planting the earlier stuff, and I couldnÂt live a whole summer without them, so when I realized what I had done, I stuck them in between the kohlrabis and cukes, thinking that by the time they grew up, the kohlrabis would be long gone, and the cukes would be high enough up the trellises that I could just cut off all the lower leavesÂwhich I do anyway as part of my mildew mitigation program!) ((HowÂs that for a long sentence!)) SOÂnow the beans have totally grown up, but all the big, useless kohlrabis are just sitting there flopping all over the place.

I think if they havenÂt started "bulging" by now, theyÂre never going to! I guess IÂll just pull them out and try again in fall if it gets cool enough early enough.

They were planted way early this year, so IÂm sure thatÂs not the problem. IÂd be wondering if itÂs the clay soil, but since the beets and carrotsÂwith their "roots" IN the soil are doing reasonably well, it doesnÂt seem that would be the problem. TheyÂve been kept way wet ever since they went in since IÂve been here 24/7 this year, so thatÂs not the problem. And IÂm out of ideas! Most of them did the same thing last year, but I attributed it to getting them in too late, and now I know thatÂs not the problem.

Anybody else grow them and have the same problem? Anybody have any ideas at all what might be causing it so I can at least hope to get some good ones next spring?

(No potato stories this time!)

Skybird

Comments (5)