SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

97ºF in the shade

david52 Zone 6
16 years ago

and I came very close to fainting, out there pulling garlic, which isn't in the shade. I plant 'Music Pink', an heirloom variety from Canada that will get somewhere to the size thats half way between a golf ball and a base ball, with usually 4 or 5 really big cloves. Very good stuff.

Anyway, weather.

This morning was 51ºF when I woke up at 5:30 am, right now its 97º, 5% humidity. If the cheat grass around here ever gets lit, it's gonna explode. Fire ban in the county, no fire works.

Anyway, I'll wait until tomorrow and pull the rest. Whats the weather doing at your place?

Comments (10)

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Same here.

The weather websites say its 97 degrees with 5% humidity, but my thermometer is reading 100 even.

I had some tiny herb sprouts in pots that were frying, so I moved them to a shady spot and watered them well. Hopefully they will perk back up. I thought they would be okay with morning sun, but I have found that even things that say FULL SUN, do well here in partial shade, some even in full shade!

We have been in the upper 90's for going on three weeks now, but they were selling fireworks at Walmart this morning, so I am assuming there is no fire ban here.

We are making homemade ice cream tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I grew my garlic in partial shade. Full sun in the morning and dappled sun in the afternoon. And I waited till late afternoon and evening to dig up mine, and I was still dripping when I came back inside. I still have another couple rows to pull. My thermometer in full sun didn't get up past 112 degrees, though. That is to say, my new thermometer, that goes up to 140. The old thermometer, that only went up to 120, exploded a couple weeks ago.

• finn21
    16 years ago

This is my first year with a swamp cooler. That 5% humidity is good for something I guess. I can't believe I waited this long to get one. My house used to get up into the 90s inside! I don't know how I didn't go insane.

There's a fireworks ban in my neighborhood but that never stops anybody. Can you make a citizen's arrest on something like that!?

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

It's 100+ x 4%. Front shady patio says 100, back shady patio says 102. Digital thermo in the sun says 111. :-) Crazy hot.

I was out running the tractor until a few minutes ago. Wish mine had a canopy or enclosed cab with AC.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• digit
    16 years ago

Our turn now! 97ºF in the shade, 13% humidity, and wind gusts to 23mph. Where did all this blasted hot air come from?!? Red flag day . . . no kidding!!

Yesterday it was a record breaking 101ºF in Spokane, and 104ºF in Colville.

Currently, it is 101ºF in Missoula down a bit from 105º at 5 this afternoon. The thermometer may have gone a little higher today so it may have broken that 105º level which was the ALL TIME RECORD HIGH!!! Looks like Margaret has "enjoyed" a high of at least 103º today in Hamilton.

Yesterday it was also a record setting day in Missoula and Kalispell. Chance of lightening in the mountains of Montana tonight - oh, no!

digitS'

• david52 Zone 6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We had a "rain" yesterday, that actually washed the dust off the roof, and this evening as well, a sprinkle that actually got the concrete sidewalk wet. Cooled down as well into the really low 90's.

This past week the area broke temp records, most of which were set in 2002, the year so much of the place went up in smoke.

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Yeah, Babies! We had a good rain today. And on the Fourth of July, West Mesa Verde was on fire, so officially according to me, Summer has Begun!

David, you are going to have to shake it harder when you do your raindance.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• digit
    16 years ago

It managed to get to 107ºF in Missoula beating the "all time record high" of 105 set on July 10, 1973.

It's interesting that these two records came so early in July. The highest average temperatures are in the last few days of the month. I used to think that the 1st week of August was always the hottest of the year but that may be because I get so beaten down by those dates.

Yeah, 1/4th inch of rain would be so wonderful. It is cooler today but temps are supposed to go up to double digits again by Wednesday.

A side note on gardening: I checked our soil temperature in the warmest part of my gardens on June 30th - just thinking how some authorities say that 70º is required before planting melon seeds. It was 68º - 4 inches below the surface. I'm not even sure if it has made it to 70º yet even with all the record busting.

Oh well, gives some relief for this old fox who plans to stay as close to the ground today as possible (& in the shade ;o).

digitS'

• stevation
    16 years ago

Today, we hit 100 with 9% humidity, same yesterday, except it was 101 then. It's been near 100 for weeks on end! Utah isn't usually this bad.

This evening, I really thought we'd get a little rain shower. The clouds moved in and you could feel the humidity rise a little and thunder started to rumble. Even got the big wind gusts that usually come with the advancing rain front, but no rain. You could see it up in the sky, but it was just virga, rain that evaporates before it hits the ground.

I have a little pot ghetto on my back deck, and I keep waiting for temps to drop a little so I can transplant some things, but no luck. My wife says I need to wait till September.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I really thought it was going to rain here in Aurora. The skies clouded up and turned dark. The wind picked up. Thunder rumbled and lightning flashed.

But it was a dry storm. If it rained anywhere, it wasn't here. I finally gave up waiting and hauled out the hose.

That's the worst kind of storm, too. Lightning and dry land, with no rain. Very dangerous.