SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Sunlight needs during growth stage?

saoodhashim
10 years ago

Hi

I live in Saudi Arabia and am a beginner gardener.

I have bought a few pepper and tomato plants from the local nursery - 8-10 inches tall. Reading lots of stuff and finding that pepper need around 6 hours of direct sunlight. Well I am doing my gardening on roof top so 6 hours of direct sunlight is not a problems for me.

My question is however, is this 6+ hours needed at the fruiting stage or right from the word go?? The heat is quite high over here these day but it is gradually reducing. By early November the temperature should have come down by 10-15 degrees. Right now it frequently (every other day) touches 100F. I was thinking of providing them with three hours of early morning sun when the temps are less than 85 and then bringing them in my house where I can maintain a pleasant temperature but I have no sunlight in my house though. As for late afternoon sun, I cannot provide that since just right next to my apartment, there is a tall building which shades my whole roof top from 2 pm onwards.

Will it work? Do the pepper (and for that matter any other vegetable plants - especially the sun lovers i.e. tomatoes and cucumbers etc ) need 6+ hours of direct sunlight from the very beginning when they are just showing up leaves and growing in height or 3 hours of light will be just fine for them during this growth stage (for one month or so)?

Thanks

Saood

Comments (4)

Sponsored